Acro crabs?

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone with an sps dominated reef have acro crabs? What are the positives and negatives to having them? All my sps corals are small (1"+) so would an acro crab be bad for small corals? Do they make the coral upset and not have the polyps out where the crab is sitting? Thanks,
-Stephen-

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had only positive experience with them and they are my favorite symbiotic relationship. Its not the coral id be worried about at that size but rather the crab. They like at keast a mini colony size so that they can have security. Make sure they have a black band across their eyes though and are not the black hairy gorilla crabs. They are very bad

On another note, not to hijack but does anyone know where these can ve bought for a reasonable price?

Sent from my galaxy s4

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro crabs are excellent for sps, but they do need at least a mini colony with a bunch of branches.

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like 3ish inches?

Inch isnt a food estimate for size because a staghorn could be 6 inches with a few branches. Basically something the size of my avatar or a bit smaller. There is a crab in there. Im looking for 4 or 5 but $12 a pop is steep

Sent from my galaxy s4

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got like 3 or 4 different acro crabs, and even had others. depending on the specific type it varies on how rough they are. I had one migrate from a pocillopora colony to a birdsnest and it cleared out quite a bit of polyps for a new pad. so you definitely need a decent sized multi-branched colony to have the prime commensal relationship

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The + is they will keep that acro they live in very clean and protect it. I had a snail trying to climb up the acro the crab gave him the boot. The - is the little that they call home (a little spot in the interior of each of my colonies) smooth because they rub a dent to lay flat with the acro I assume for camouflage. I truly enjoy mine

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have several acro crabs in our colonies as well with no issues - even the blue-eyed cymo's that some folks have issues with.

LiveAquaria sells coral crabs in the trapezia genus which can grow quite large. They are fine in large colonies, but can do some noticeable damage to a mini acro colony or frags. They also prefer pocillopora, stylophora or seriatora over acropora - so if you have any of them, that is where they will migrate to.

Arkayology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly large red/purple trapezia in a 4''x3'' poccilapora colony and it has never done any damage. I have a really cool little white one that lived in a mille colony, but I have not seen it for weeks now so I suspect it is no longer alive. Regardless, I really enjoy these little crabs.

OP
OP
Usatennisfan

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool beans! Now all I need is my corals to grow more and I'll be getting g a few. Anybody have any pictures?

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one but it just the claw because they lives in the inner position of the colonies and are very aware when I walk up to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y7e3ezyz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ~5 in my system and will continue to get more as I get more sps. I have one that is huge, like the size of a typical emerald crab. I'll see if I can nab a pic at some point. The big one is the only one that openly explores during the day. But is usually camped out in an acro just like his buddies.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the best thing about buying MC or wild pieces, almost always had acro crabs.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 43 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back