Acro ID - brown frag from closing store

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyones has this or has seen it in the hobby/ might know the specie?
CBAC9786-DFC4-4E65-A5B3-6C52ABF5F4D2.png

I got a couple clippings of the last acro from a display tank at the last salt shop in town. They were phasing out their salt water.Had no one with coral experience around, and no idea the source or species.
Now ive had them almost a year, and still dont know anything except they grow quick and are not brown anymore.
Growing faster than any acro i have including green slimer, and must be very hardy to have survived the abandoned tank they came from.
Photos are from when i got them into the display and also a few months into growth/color change.
Ill post a current photo tomorrow.
If anyone can point me in the direction of a possibly species (Or few) that would be cool
Just a curious feeling i have.
1E51A6F9-9E84-40FC-84CA-A1778A5B1357.jpeg

OP
OP
cocoReefer

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyones has this or has seen it in the hobby/ might know the specie?
CBAC9786-DFC4-4E65-A5B3-6C52ABF5F4D2.png

I got a couple clippings of the last acro from a display tank at the last salt shop in town. They were phasing out their salt water.Had no one with coral experience around, and no idea the source or species.
Now ive had them almost a year, and still dont know anything except they grow quick and are not brown anymore.
Growing faster than any acro i have including green slimer, and must be very hardy to have survived the abandoned tank they came from.
Photos are from when i got them into the display and also a few months into growth/color change.
Ill post a current photo tomorrow.
If anyone can point me in the direction of a possibly species (Or few) that would be cool
Just a curious feeling i have.
1E51A6F9-9E84-40FC-84CA-A1778A5B1357.jpeg
605510CC-F205-4D7C-84D4-5E824ED1AA49.jpeg

Photo from this morning. It may be a bit pale due to nutrients getting low, but growth is gnarly fast. Just under 10 months since acquired as a brown nub.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cocoReefer

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I can see resemblance to both of those, ill look more into them.
Been lowering display light cycle and adding more aminos, hope to get the green back into the base. Few other acro have gotten more pale so, that seems like the path to follow.
Kinda reminds me of Aussie gold or miyagi tort.

Upvote 0

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get a shot of mine later tonight when I get home, (Aussie gold) but the growth form is almost identical to yours. Lower light will bring out the green base of it is Aussie gold. Not sure if the miyagi is the same or not. Seems to be a lot of confusion on that subject.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cocoReefer

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get a shot of mine later tonight when I get home, (Aussie gold) but the growth form is almost identical to yours. Lower light will bring out the green base of it is Aussie gold. Not sure if the miyagi is the same or not. Seems to be a lot of confusion on that subject.
Makes sense, i have been increasing my light output over the last 6 months and the base color left....

Upvote 0

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Aussie gold. Super fast grower, hardy, and nice colors. Greenish base fading to a brown/gold color and purple/blue tips and polyps.
The white splotches seem to come and go. No idea why.
I think it's hanging around 220 PAR. Color was much better when it was down around 175ish.
KIMG0635.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cocoReefer

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I look at them together, the radial corallites on yours are much more evenly spaced.
@C. Eymann is really good at this sort of thing
Mine is in alot of flow, lps would not want to be around it for sure. Wonder if that makes much difference. It had more sporadic corallites at the shop i got it from, in lower light and much lower flow.
Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cocoReefer

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6586BA53-D95F-48E3-94B8-2D2173447A68.jpeg

Growing like a weed. I kept upping the light and got some green tips, and have upped the nutrients alot and got some green back in the base.
I have 5-10 frags and a colony half the size of this one in my Frag tank.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hard to tell under blue lighting but looks to me like one of either

Blue acro
red dragon
german blue polyp acro

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cocoReefer

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill get a photo under whites next chance i get.
Cali tort and yellow tip seem like candidates, ive heard both grow rather fast. Its outpacing my green slimer and even birdsnest and branching montis.
The store i got it from did have access to named acros and had a knowledgeable salt guy for many years, i caught this one after anyone with prior experience or knowledge of it were employed.
No matter what, i like it. Hardy, quick growing acro will make you feel like a very good reef keeper

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If blue, may be tort

Upvote 0

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cali tort has green polyps.
If it's got blue polyps, I'm thinking it's gotta be a miyagi tort or Aussie gold tort.
My Cali tort does not have green polyps. They’re blue. My Myagi has a lot of cream/white color to it. I don’t see that in coco’s

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back