Acro?

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by USMA36, Feb 9, 2018.

1. USMA36

USMA36 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I have this unknown acrpora frag. I am pretty sure it’s supposed to be green but it looks like this instead. The tips are white. ALK 7.5 nitrates 5-10 phosphates 0.0 on Hannah checker, Temp 78, salinity 1.026, calcium 420. It’s about halfway up the a 90 gallon under an ATI Sunpower 8 bulb fixture about 10” over the water with 4 Blue+ 2 True Actinic 1 Coral + and 1 Purple +. I attached a picture of the mother colony as well as the frag. The branch to the right cracked when I was glueing it probably why it looks worse.

BACA31F4-2536-4F30-B043-C5A974384BE9.jpeg BF10EC6E-0A97-474B-9245-AEB5980ED960.jpeg

Tags:

2. vpoiu1263

vpoiu1263 Member

The first pic is look like garf bonsai acro.
    But I don't know about the second one sorry.

3. USMA36

They’re supposed to be the same.

4. jda

jda Valuable Member

It looks like it is encrusting and growing, so it is probably OK. Some frags look different than colonies and change as they grow - Dana Riddle had some paper (which I have not read yet) that shows that some corals get different zoox as they mature.

What lights are the colony under? I gave a frag of a Typical Shortcake to a guy with AcroOptics lights and mine is green/pink like every other shortcake and his was just grey with greyer tips but has grown to the size of a dinner plate... he switched to ATI and it looks like a shortcake again. Different lights yield different colors.

USMA36 likes this.
  5. USMA36

It was encrusted when I got the frag. I have not noticed very much of any growth, but it’s only been a month. Original colony was under radions. I have the frag under an 8 bulb ATI Sunpower T5. Are the white tips growth or bleaching? Is there a way to tell?

Draft saved Draft deleted