Acropora-eating flatworms?

jonesdeini

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2016
Messages
98
Reaction score
77
Location
Buffalo
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this frag and I was inspecting it before dipping and noticed what appear to me as aefw. I would love other's opinions on this
IMG_20191109_231013.jpg
 
Those do look kind like bite marks, did any adults fall off during the dip? did you inspect the base/plug for egg masses?
 
Hard to say. I can see what look like the bite marks but that could also be where new growth is about to sprout. What came off in the dip?
 
A lot of the time on branches that are starting to show new growth small circles like that will be the first signs of the growth. They are normally spread out and aefw bit marks will normally follow a trail. On the other hand they will do anything to fool you and make it into your system, almost like they know where to go so you can’t see them. Evil little worms. If nothing was in the dip I wouldn’t worry, I always keep my eyes opened anyways though.
 
There wasn't anything in the dip but it was a really cheap acro so I put it in my non sps dominant tank because I didn't want to risk it. I appreciate everyone's input
 
The bite marks are usually more concentrated near the bottom and a place where they can wander closely to lay eggs (on the dead tissue or rock). Those at the top are suspect, but if those are the only ones, then it could be something else.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new