Acropora Spathulata

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich...at least yours is keeping some color and getting growth...mine has nothing except encrust down...it's right under a 250 Radium and gets blasted with alternating flow too...

trueblackpercula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this Sps should only be kept by reefkeepers with lots of experiancess. This type of Sps needs high flow high light and needs to be feed with a high quality food such as pappone or reefbooster. They normally do not do well in captivity and almost never keep there color. I have seen a few examples that have done good but only under exceptional water quality. Most if not all Sps keepers fail at keeping this one alive. It's an amazone Sps but not for the less advanced aquarist.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy to keep alive as the next acro but it does require high light, very high light, in a well fed reef to keep color. I no longer try to keep these. Not worth the effort.

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS's by me have been getting in quite a few Australian acropora spathulata. I never saw them before, I actually thought they were millis. They look similar except they are thicker branched. Just curious if anyone has experience with them and can comment on growth rate, color retention, longevity etc. I picked up these 2 yesterday (cell pic). The color looks better in person
IMG_4024_zps14db4111.png
IMG_4007_zps0396869e.png

Hey all
I have 2 specimens in my tank from the barrier reef. The first is coloured similar to the first pic and the second is bluer in colour with metallic flashes of green and orange.

They have been thriving for 6 months now and show good growth under Radion Gen2 pro's with the Warm whites turned down to 50% and overall intensity of 70%.

They have very high, random flow (2 x MP40's and 2 x RW-15's).

They sit about 40 cm from the lights, high up in the reef at PAR of ~500.That being said, I've fragged them and placed some pieces lower down in the reef where they've encrusted and grown (they grow quickly) at PAR values of ~200.

My PO4 varies between 0.02 and 0.04 ppm.

Here is a picture of one, but the colours are so hard to photograph.They are a lovely coral :)

Cheers,
Tony

Attachments

• Spathulata copy.jpg
    Spathulata copy.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all
I have 2 specimens in my tank from the barrier reef. The first is coloured similar to the first pic and the second is bluer in colour with metallic flashes of green and orange.

They have been thriving for 6 months now and show good growth under Radion Gen2 pro's with the Warm whites turned down to 50% and overall intensity of 70%.

They have very high, random flow (2 x MP40's and 2 x RW-15's).

They sit about 40 cm from the lights, high up in the reef at PAR of ~500.That being said, I've fragged them and placed some pieces lower down in the reef where they've encrusted and grown (they grow quickly) at PAR values of ~200.

My PO4 varies between 0.02 and 0.04 ppm.

Here is a picture of one, but the colours are so hard to photograph.They are a lovely coral :)

Cheers,
Tony

Another look.

Spathulata.jpg

naso tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few that have grown well will try to snap some pics. Never knew there was any issue with these, every one I've gotten has done pretty well.

naso tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's spongebob. Grew from one inch in about 1.5 years. He's kindof yellow/orange, colors aren't great but he grows great kindof mid tank

This one is unknown from Aquasd, slow grower but encrusting well and starting to project from .5" for about a year. Great color on this one

Now that I look at it, not so sure it's a spat. Might be a tenuis?

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Spath that I grew from a frag that has started to explode in growth. Has kept its color this whole time. Maybe avoid buying colonies and just buy frags. Frags may do better.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure sponge Bob is a spath? It looks too skinny for a spath, but flow and everything can play a big role. Either way I would love a frag of it! Its beautiful!

naso tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's not skinny, half inch thick branches, just a lot of new growth. I'm kindof addicted to spats so when they show up and I can afford em I try to pick up frags

bullitr1215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine today split with my buddy it very expensive than I would like to spend so hopefully it keeps it color
Iphone pic

And the brightest SSC i every seen

Both are a lot brighter in person.

Anyway slowly acclimating it to my lights
16 bulbs t5/led hybrid

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back