OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a frag of a spath from my LFS the other day but it RTN overnight. ARG!!!!! I have no luck with this coral :)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not so sure this is a spath anymore. What do you guys think? It grows much different than any of the pics above. Its so thick and short where the new growth is. But it is surely a nice rainbow color. Nice blue base under the branches, gold around coralites and pink on the new growth tips.

bullitr1215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the SSC and spathulata really high and they are a little dull than when I got them but both are encrusting so its a good sign right?

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a frag of a spath from my LFS the other day but it RTN overnight. ARG!!!!! I have no luck with this coral :)

I am having the same problems. Bought a super nice piece and 2nd night it started to RTN. Any advice? I have no idea why I tried to keep the species again. I lost the last 2 I tried..

ValorG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problems. Bought a super nice piece and 2nd night it started to RTN. Any advice? I have no idea why I tried to keep the species again. I lost the last 2 I tried..

I always put my new frags in a low light area, with moderate flow. I'll leave it there for weeks then move it up gradually. It's the light adjustment that rtns most frags. Just be patient.

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think half of these pics are millis or something else. Jackson's first two pics are spathes for sure. I have the second one in the original post. It's 2/3 up in my tank and doing well under radion g 2's. It's encrusted and I can see new branches starting on it. I want to say I've have had it 4-5 months can't remember for sure.

reeferbuddy215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a spath frag from PEAC and it was plain brownish and it's colored up to this beautiful blue but a darker blue looks incredible and it has already started entrusting about a centimeter. It's my favorite sps in my tank I have it under pretty high led lighting about 8" deep but I have dimmable led's so I started it lower and slowly increased the intensity but I keep my blue led's on full all the time, but my po4 is .22 ppm according to my hanna I just started using gfo and I have a 40 gal refugium but I'm surprised all my sps frags are flourishing like they are. So to the ppl who say this type of acropora needs prefect water conditions that's not always true.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this spath for about two yrs now. This is what it looked like after about a year, crappy pic under blue led.

Now it's a reddish pink with blue tips on all the new growth. I'd say it's easily 3/4" thick. The trick like most sps is keep it in consistent conditions and don't move it once it's there.

[/URL]

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this spath for about two yrs now. This is what it looked like after about a year, crappy pic under blue led.

Now it's a reddish pink with blue tips on all the new growth. I'd say it's easily 3/4" thick. The trick like most sps is keep it in consistent conditions and don't move it once it's there.

[/URL]
Wow this thing is a gem. really unique.

22bfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag that was originally light green. After a year in my tank it has browned, then turned brilliant purplish blue with tinges if green. The biggest change in color shift happened when I discovered I had zero nitrates and started dosing stump remover (my reef is in a stock tank with a deep sand bed that eats nitrates) . I'll try to upload a pic. Not much vertical growth but encrusting well. I run a combo of Hydra 52 LEDs and 400 watt radium 20k halide.

Mr.Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not so sure this is a spath anymore. What do you guys think? It grows much different than any of the pics above. Its so thick and short where the new growth is. But it is surely a nice rainbow color. Nice blue base under the branches, gold around coralites and pink on the new growth tips.

It almost is starting to look like an ambro at this point but I dont think the clustering around the axail coralite is quite right.

22bfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A year ago i received a small frag of each colony picture above.
The last picture is the encrusting growth of one of the frags. This coral was mostly brown before starting to dose potassium nitrate from Spectracide stump remover.
Still no vertical branching but encrusting slowly.

reeferbuddy215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be their beautiful corals mines doing great despite my auto top be left on dropped my salinity down way below safe zone but i managed to savr the tank and livestock

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back