Acrylic tank sealed with silicon

BobDD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I bought 100g acrylic tank. Later I noticed that all seams are sealed with silicon. Tank holds water, no visible peeling off of the silicon. I have some concerns with reliability of the seal and not sure that should be my next step.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attached picture of one of the seam.

unnamed.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

If I were in your shoes, I would remove the silicone (really simple, as you know it doesn't bond well and isn't as much of a pain to remove) and reseal with a tube or two of weldon. Probably will take a few hours and cost about $20-40 dollars in weldon, but will give you more peace of mind.

I would also confirm the tank wasn't sealed with weldon and silicone was applied on top of the weld. I've seen one or two sumps where that was done (likely to cover up a small leak from the original job).

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree 100% silicone will fail,weld on ,will bond perm

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you apply the weld on, you are going to have to do one seam at a time. Prop the tank so the seam is at around a 45 degree angle. Apply the weldon at the told and let it flow down the seam. Trying to "smear" weldon like caulk.. well, that isnt going to work at all and make a HUGE mess.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
also well ventilation ,eye protection!!!!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the above technique, take a look at the pin method. I've been using that recently and it's been working well. There are a couple of other methods, it's pretty simple all things considered once you get the hang of any of them. Just do it in a well ventilated area, use a respirator if you have one, and use eye protection.

Let it cure for longer than you want to;)

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pin method is utilized to bond sheets initially. Unless there is a "repair" pin method.
Sorry, I had assumed the sump was going to be broken apart into 5 pieces and welded back together. You can absolutely keep the sump together and do one pane at a time- I just wanted to give options in case the whole thing fell apart during the repair.

OP
OP
B

BobDD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for all your replies.
Its fishtank and looks ike panels are glued together with solvent but on top there is silicon coat.
The problem is that silicon formed a very tight bond. It is difficult to remove it completely. Any tips on how to remove it from acrylic?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
try to find weak spot ,or bottom of tank,once under should peel,any input/advice @Joe Glass Cages ,thanks :)

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the thing, and i dont say this lightly. You may really want to think about using this tank for a sump or something only.

You dont know the origin of the tank and addint silicone to an acrylic tank is absolutely micky mouse. If they did that, they mighy have used weldon 40 to build the whole tank..or worse, cheap acrylic that doesnt bond well.
I would hate to see you get your tank all setup and get all this expensove livestock in..and then it splits a seam and springs a leak

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back