OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after couple hour running skimmr wet, my tank clear now, but still let my skimmer run wet few days

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guy, I just add new special grade sand without rinse. I added slowly 1/3 bag per day, but didn’t rinse. My tank seem cloudy, but I have skimmer and 2 filter socks. My tank has sps, lps and 9 fishes. Should I expect a mini cycle. I concern my coral and fish die tomorrow
I doubt adding sand will cause a mini cycle - as there shoudl be adequate bacteria in your tank to handle any small amount of ammonia - did the instructions on the sand say to rinse it? If not - dump it in. BTW - once you've opened the bag - you may have an issue -if you just leave the sand in there with no oxygenation. It might make sense to put that sand in following the instructions on the bag. I have the feeling that @brandon429 would say its fine to rinse it - that the 'bacteria' will not be affected. I'm not sure that there is a benefit to adding 'live sand' to a cycled aquarium - vs just adding sand thats been rinsed.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve added bags of sand without rinsing. Usually settles and clears up in a couple hours. When I initially filled I used 5 bags and that took a good day or so to clear up. As gobies and jawfish have rearranged and put the sand where they like it (in the rockwork), I’ve just added more to supplement the thin and bare spots they left behind.

LisaK1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 6 bags of sand without rinsing. That went well....

Even my cat was like... dude... what were you thinking?

tapatalk_1565198008726.jpeg
Yeah, I did that too. Drained and rinsed. Filled back up, and it looks the same. What did you do??

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back