Adding a chiller to RedSea Max Nano

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a RS Max Nano to use as a frag quarantine tank.

I live in a very hot climate though and I would like to add a small chiller to it. Has anyone added a chiller to theirs and if so, how have you plumbed it into the system?

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is a pretty tight fit in these nanos, I'm used to a bigger tank :)

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as the what decision you come to. I have a similar sized tank that I’ve had some heat issues. The only chiller in a small compact size I have seen has been the chill solutions csxc-1. Good luck!

Bronx_Discuss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d be surprised how effective those Home Depot Window fans with dual fans are. You would just need to direct it towards the water surface. I have mine hung up and pointing down directly over my RSM c130. Tank was at 84 to 85 deg and after 2 days of the fan it’s down to 78 or 79 max. Not the prettiest but saved a few hundred bucks. In most cases it does the job. Evaporation has doubled but it worked for me.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it would fit, I'd go with this:
https://www.tecous.com/chillers/tk-150/

Second choice:
preview_e-chill_1.jpg

https://www.tecous.com/cooling-fans/e-chill-1/

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember to visualize where heat will go. Is area well ventilated under cabinet. If there's no exhaust fan, would be good to add one. Helps chillers efficiency and extend its useful life span. I only have 30 gallon dt, and have two 1/4 hp chillers. It gets hot here too. Also one helps as a back up. If one or the other fails. Hope this helps

Thorchangz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it even possible to add a chiller in the red sea max nano? I have one and I have a hugh problem planting a big enough return pump into the max nano rear compartments to accommodate the pump for the return flow from the chiller. Should have gotten a nano reefer with a sump to ease this portion of the setup. Has anyone successfully done up a 1/10 chiller with the Red Sea max nano?

Last edited:

Bronx_Discuss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a small profile powerful pump that you can swap the current return pump with so that you can route the return to the chiller and then back into the tank? Not sure if the stock pump will be powerful enough to travel that long and still give you the amount of water turnover you need.

Komerider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any solution to this? Downsizing and this tank would be ideal. Need a chiller tho as I live in the tropics. I'd say Teko 150 but how do we get the pipes in?

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a chiller to the old red sea max 250, its sump was as narrow as the one of the nano.

I added a pump right above the return pump, powerful enough to be able to bring the water back up in a closed loop with U pipes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back