Adding a Controller, not sure what I need

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I am looking for a controller, and I want it to do a few things specifically. I am looking for the most cost effective option(s) to accomplish my goals. I am posting because I get confused by the Apex/Reefkeeper requirements for add-ons etc.

I want to be able to:

Monitor my tank wirelessly [through internet from outside of my network]
Monitor pH continuously
Monitor Temperature continuously
Control outlets / timer outlets [8 outlets is probably sufficient]
Logging/tracking of parameters

For Apex, which parts do I need? Approximate cost?
For ReefKeeper, which parts do I need? Approximate cost?

I currently have a Reef Angel controller, but I can't get the tracking to work, and I can't get the remote access to parameters to work either. It's too complicated, and without spending a couple of hundred on another piece for the setup I won't be able to set it up to get what I want out of it.

On that note, if anyone is willing to help me get my Reef Angel controller connected to the internet so that I can track/access tank stats remotely I am willing to pay you via PayPal!

Thanks

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had both the reef keeper and the Apex, personally, I prefer the Apex over the Reef Keeper. I just upgraded from the Apex Jr. to the Apex Classic and couldn't be happier. You should be able to do everything you listed and then some with the Apex Classic, which retails around $549.99.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had both the reef keeper and the Apex, personally, I prefer the Apex over the Reef Keeper. I just upgraded from the Apex Jr. to the Apex Classic and couldn't be happier. You should be able to do everything you listed and then some with the Apex Classic, which retails around $549.99.

How do you connect your Apex Classic to the cloud/internet to be able to track/log and access the data? Would I need an additional attachment to connect to the internet, do I need to plug an Ethernet cord in to a router? Could I use a tablet to control the Apex, and send the information through the Wifi from the tablet?

Thanks!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either one of the Archon systems Level 1 or Level 2 will do what you want and then some. It has wifi or wired network connectivity. Both the level 1 and Level 2 has 8 controlled 120v outputs. It also has 4 0-10v and 2 PWM outputs. No other modules needed to do what you have listed. http://www.digitalaquatics.org/store/archon

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either one of the Archon systems Level 1 or Level 2 will do what you want and then some. It has wifi or wired network connectivity. Both the level 1 and Level 2 has 8 controlled 120v outputs. It also has 4 0-10v and 2 PWM outputs. No other modules needed to do what you have listed. http://www.digitalaquatics.org/store/archon

To be honest, I use SBreef lights basic lights, and I don't know what PWM means. I don't have a DC pump, so I don't see myself wanting/needing the 0-10v [unless my lights can be dimmed - but I just have two knobs on the top, no plugs].

I also don't know how the wired networks for controllers work. My modem and router are in a totally separate room than my tank. Would I need to run an ethernet cable to my router in order to get the internet connectivity? [Apex]

Does both models of the Archon have wireless built in? And do I need to set up port forwarding to access the data from outside of my network? [I tried doing this watching YouTube for the Reef Angel controller and I screwed everything up - had to call the router company to help me get it reset]

Thanks for the help/suggestions!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Archon unit has wireless. The only difference is the power bars that come with it between the two. No you don't need a wired connection. In fact you can choose the Archon's own wireless hot spot to setup the Archon when you get it. You would have to setup port forwarding to access from outside your network. There are also 4 switch inputs that can be used with float switches or leak detectors such as the GRI 2600. I use the two PWM outputs for my lighting along with a AVC module. PWM is pulse width modulation. The percentage of on time is changed from 0 to 100% to control the device connected. It also has 2 inputs that can be configured as either pH or ORP. I use the Archon on my tank in my build thread. Check it out for more info on how the Archon works.

What router do you have?

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Linksys router which has two channels [2ghz and 5ghz if i'm remembering correctly]. I use a Motorola - DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

In terms of wireless accesibility to the data of the controller, is this where Apex has the upper hand? Is all of that data linked to an 'anywhere accessible' webpage? I've heard here and there of parts and pieces of the Apex but also feel there might be a lot of 'brand surfing'. Apex seems like the most expensive controller [maybe less than GHL? - i'm not looking for $1200 worth of control, just the basics I listed above]

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time Digital Aquatics does not have the cloud access available. As far as wireless I think the Archon has an advantage. It has it own wireless access point and can join your network simultaneously. You can also hook up the wired and wireless at the same time. I start talking about the Archon on post 35 of the build thread. Most of the screen shots are done from an iPad. There are screen shots form the iPad, smart phone and computer. The Archon knows which is accessing it and sets the webpages accordingly. Let me know what model of Linksys you have and I will see if I can figure out the settings. I have a Asus that also came with a free ddns service.

Last edited:

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about Reef Angel, sorry, I can't help. But I will offer my thoughts on the Apex:

1. Cheapest option: Apex Jr. (239) + PM1 module (84.95) and pH probe (39.94) = 363.89 Only has 4 controllable outlets though, could add additional EB8 for $160, which gets pretty close to the next option ($523.89). No WiFi
2. Mid Option: Apex Classic = 549.95 Everything you need and more, except WiFi
3. High End Option: New Apex WiFi = 799.95

In terms of monitoring from the cloud, this is as easy as it gets. Literally just connect the New Apex to your WiFi or plug in a Ethernet cable, create a Fusion account, and connect. It's as simple as it gets. No port forwarding or risking opening up your router to hackers. I travel for work a bunch, and I'm always checking in on my tank via Fusion just because I can, hah. I sit in these meetings, some people play solitaire, some candy crush, I'm on Apex Fusion checking my tank. I need to get a webcam set up.

My house is not conducive to wifi, so I ran an Ethernet cable from my router to the Apex just to ensure the connection would be rock solid. I would have the same issues with any of the controllers. I can't watch Netflix on an iPad without it hanging up at least twice.

I don't know what the budget looks like, but I'd likely go with 2 or 3, if you can swing it. I had a Jr. on my first tank and you get 100% Fusion functionality, but by the time I added on, it would have been the same cost as a Classic. I currently have the new Apex. The Fusion app on the iPhone is fantastic, easy to use, provides push alerts if you set it up, monitors connectivity to the cloud, logs all parameters, provides graphs, etc. It's best in class stuff.

lucho79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help you with the Reef Angel. I have it, have used it for the past years, and although it can be tough to understand sometimes, I think it can do stuff other controllers in the market can’t (water level in particular). Happy to help you. Send me a PM and we can connect

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I use SBreef lights basic lights, and I don't know what PWM means. I don't have a DC pump, so I don't see myself wanting/needing the 0-10v [unless my lights can be dimmed - but I just have two knobs on the top, no plugs].

Just picked up an SB box when they had the sale a week or so back. Very easy to modify for 0-10V operation. Finished wiring it up in about an hour and am onto the testing phase before swapping out lights permanently.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got on the ReefAngel forums and was able to get my Reef Angel working wirelessly and through their included portal. Decided i'm going to keep the RA and continue to use it. Thanks for the input! When I go to a bigger system in a couple of years i'll probably revisit the controller options available.

Just picked up an SB box when they had the sale a week or so back. Very easy to modify for 0-10V operation. Finished wiring it up in about an hour and am onto the testing phase before swapping out lights permanently.

I'm interested in knowing what the cost of doing this was? I'm not unhappy with my lights just turning off and on, but it might be a fun project

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in knowing what the cost of doing this was? I'm not unhappy with my lights just turning off and on, but it might be a fun project

Free if you have solder, a spare ethernet cable, some cheap wire, wire cutters/strippers, and some electrical tape lying around.

Otherwise something like this if going to WalMart:
- $10 for a soldering iron kit that includes solder
- $7ish for an ethernet cable (depends on desired length from lights to controller, obviously). This is used to connect to the APEX rather than buying their $20 cable
- Literally maybe a buck for a foot or two of high gauge wire
- $5 bucks for wire cutters/strippers... or just use a razor as I did for some of the stripping
- Another buck for electrical tape for insulation of your soldering joints

If you're interested, I can send you the resources I used. They're pretty straight forward. Basically you open it up, ground your power circuit to keep it functioning, and then connect the 0-10V to the controller rather than the internal dimming boards connected to the knobs.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper wire strippers are so worth the investment.

Agreed. I have the normal ones and those awesome automatic ones. I just didn't want to cut and put on a new wire tie on one of the wires to be able to fit them into there haha.

Allan318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help you with the Reef Angel. I have it, have used it for the past years, and although it can be tough to understand sometimes, I think it can do stuff other controllers in the market can’t (water level in particular). Happy to help you. Send me a PM and we can connect
Purchased a used reef angel with multiple controllers. Need help setting it up. Any advise would help. Thanks

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 99 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back