Adding another female clownfish?

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling the #reefsquad. I originally had a pair of Wyoming Clownfish in my 32 gallon tank, but about a week ago the female clown died for no apparent reason. I've been watching the male to see if he's sick or anything and he seems fine (eats like a pig). I really miss having a pair so I've been thinking about adding another larger clown into the tank with my male. Is this a good idea and will it work? The male has been alone for a week or so now and is about 2 inches long.

All input is welcome!

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add a larger clown. Once the original female passes the male that she was bonded to will start to turn female. You can try to add a smaller clown.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a toss up... It may or it may not. Just keep on eye on them, and make sure you can return the new one if not.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling the #reefsquad. I originally had a pair of Wyoming Clownfish in my 32 gallon tank, but about a week ago the female clown died for no apparent reason. I've been watching the male to see if he's sick or anything and he seems fine (eats like a pig). I really miss having a pair so I've been thinking about adding another larger clown into the tank with my male. Is this a good idea and will it work? The male has been alone for a week or so now and is about 2 inches long.

All input is welcome!
You should be able to, but add another small clown, they'll basically start the dominance process over. And the male you have left may turn into female.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H
I would add a juvenile if you can find one but yours should not have turned yet. You could add another male but they will fight till one changes.
How long does it usually take for them to turn? Are there any signs to look for?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
H

How long does it usually take for them to turn? Are there any signs to look for?

On this one you may have to ask a fish?
Personally juveniles should be easy to get and go that route. Most clowns that are Captive bred in stores are Juveniles unless in pairs. Just stay way from the largest.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be a judgement call. I'm looking for a male for my female maroon clown and I still haven't found one I like. I would try to get a juvenile as stated above.
Okay thank you! And good luck finding your new clown!!

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally juveniles should be easy to get and go that route. Most clowns that are Captive bred in stores are Juveniles unless in pairs.
Hahahaha okay! My LFS is often overpriced so I mainly look online at places like Divers Den

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally juveniles should be easy to get and go that route. Most clowns that are Captive bred in stores are Juveniles unless in pairs. Just stay way from the largest.
And i've also had a problem with buying healthy fish from my LFS (and they don't have any guarantee)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of how big is your tank?

Secondly, it should be possible but put your new clown through quarantine period first and then make a divider for you QT and add the other clown to the other side for a week or two.
After that you can add them both back in the DT.
I know it's a while operation but quarantine is a must nowadays.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of how big is your tank?

Secondly, it should be possible but put your new clown through quarantine period first and then make a divider for you QT and add the other clown to the other side for a week or two.
After that you can add them both back in the DT.
I know it's a while operation but quarantine is a must nowadays.
It's a 32 gallon biocube. And I don't have a qt system so it's really a hit or miss. I do have a place I can bring the fish if it doesn't work out but I'd much rather it workout...

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon tank $10 in the gallon sale.
HOB filter, $15
Airpump, $10
2" plumbing fittings, $10
Small heater $5
So for $50 you have a QT setup.
It doesn't take up much space either.
Just my $0.02 :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back