Adding Corals, need advice

Nittro22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to start adding corals to my tank. It is about 1.5 years old and has been only fish up to this point. I want this to be successful so any advice is appreciated. I have a few questions.

1. Where is the best location and direction for the wave pumps (I have attached a photo of their current locations, the upper right pump is not currently on), and what is the best flow pattern? My pumps can do stream, surge, or wave.

2. Also, what is best to have in the sump. I currently have ceramic media instead of live algae, would it be better to get rid of the ceramic and add algae?

3. Do I need to be dosing the tank? I have seen the Seachem Reef Fusion 1 and 2. Would those be beneficial?

Tank stats and parameters
150 gallon display, 78x18x28
40 gallon breeder sump
Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual LED lights
2 1900gph flow pumps
2 2100gph wave pumps
Bubble Magus Curve 7 Protein Skimmer

Temp: 77
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Phosphate: 90ppm - will be dosing Brightwell Phosphate e via drip over next three days
Calcium: 368ppm
Alkalinity: 10dkh
Salinity: 1.025d SG
PH: 8
IMG_5954.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Wave pump placement can really vary depending on your rockscape. If you have an airstone, you can use that to generate bubbles to observe the flow patterns and adjust to your liking.

2. Either/or. Some people have bio media, others run regugiums - still others have both. Ceramic media has little to no maintenance while refugiums require weekly to monthly maintenance.

3. Based on the size of your tank, yes - you will most likely need to dose at some point. How much will really depend on how many corals, locations, size and type (soft, LPS and SPS). As you progress into SPS corals they have higher lighting and parameter requirements.

OP
OP
Nittro22

Nittro22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Wave pump placement can really vary depending on your rockscape. If you have an airstone, you can use that to generate bubbles to observe the flow patterns and adjust to your liking.

2. Either/or. Some people have bio media, others run regugiums - still others have both. Ceramic media has little to no maintenance while refugiums require weekly to monthly maintenance.

3. Based on the size of your tank, yes - you will most likely need to dose at some point. How much will really depend on how many corals, locations, size and type (soft, LPS and SPS). As you progress into SPS corals they have higher lighting and parameter requirements.
Thanks for the advice. I will be adjusting the flow this weekend to try and get a more desirable pattern

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to start adding corals to my tank. It is about 1.5 years old and has been only fish up to this point. I want this to be successful so any advice is appreciated. I have a few questions.

1. Where is the best location and direction for the wave pumps (I have attached a photo of their current locations, the upper right pump is not currently on), and what is the best flow pattern? My pumps can do stream, surge, or wave.

2. Also, what is best to have in the sump. I currently have ceramic media instead of live algae, would it be better to get rid of the ceramic and add algae?

3. Do I need to be dosing the tank? I have seen the Seachem Reef Fusion 1 and 2. Would those be beneficial?

Tank stats and parameters
150 gallon display, 78x18x28
40 gallon breeder sump
Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual LED lights
2 1900gph flow pumps
2 2100gph wave pumps
Bubble Magus Curve 7 Protein Skimmer

Temp: 77
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Phosphate: 90ppm - will be dosing Brightwell Phosphate e via drip over next three days
Calcium: 368ppm
Alkalinity: 10dkh
Salinity: 1.025d SG
PH: 8
IMG_5954.jpg
How are phosphates so high at 90 ppm in such a clean tank ?
I’m not trying to rain on your parade but phosphates that high I would wait on adding corals .
Is there a reason you’re alkalinity is at 10?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using ?
What salt ?

im not understanding how your water is 1.025 but cal is low , while alk is higher .

OP
OP
Nittro22

Nittro22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why phosphates are so, I am working to get them down with the microbacter and also adding a better gfo reactor. Is the 10 alkalinity high or low? I have been using instant ocean salt but will be switching to a better brand. I have not been dosing anything, but have been considering using the reef fusion 1 and 2 to get all levels in line.

OP
OP
Nittro22

Nittro22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using ?
What salt ?

im not understanding how your water is 1.025 but cal is low , while alk is higher .
I forgot the “.” The phosphates are .9ppm, salt is instant ocean, but I would like to change. Is there one you would recommend?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beleive that .9 is the highest reading on the hanna ULR, so it could be higher. Regardless you need to control it and bring it down to around .1 at least

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back