Adding Dry Rock to Established Reef

BlueWorldJeff

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2016
Messages
216
Reaction score
95
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180g reef has three live rock pillars right now and I want to add another one. I had some dry rock in the garage, that I epoxyed into another pillar.

It has been sitting in a 18 gallon rubbermaid tote filled with 1.025 salt water with a MJ1200 powerhead moving the water. This was old tank water from my display.

I did a 5 gallon water change with half old tank water and half freshly mixed salt water a week ago.

Its been in the tote a month. I have a seneye in the water showing Ammonia at .006. I did salifert tests for NO2 and NO3 with 0 and .2 being the values, respectively.

My hanna PO4 test kit shows PO4 at .29.

When can I move the rock to my display??
 
I have added live rock to my existing tank before. I only had my rock in a bucket for 2 weeks before I added it. I don't think you would have a problem adding the rock to your tank
 
I have added live rock to my existing tank before. I only had my rock in a bucket for 2 weeks before I added it. I don't think you would have a problem adding the rock to your tank
I probably will next week. Dont know if I should do any water changes on the tote water to remove any phosphate that could still be in the rock. I'm planning on running a little GFO on the display once I put the pillar in just in case
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new