Adding Dry Rock to Established Reef

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
My 180g reef has three live rock pillars right now and I want to add another one. I had some dry rock in the garage, that I epoxyed into another pillar.

It has been sitting in a 18 gallon rubbermaid tote filled with 1.025 salt water with a MJ1200 powerhead moving the water. This was old tank water from my display.

I did a 5 gallon water change with half old tank water and half freshly mixed salt water a week ago.

Its been in the tote a month. I have a seneye in the water showing Ammonia at .006. I did salifert tests for NO2 and NO3 with 0 and .2 being the values, respectively.

My hanna PO4 test kit shows PO4 at .29.

When can I move the rock to my display??

Shop Online with Zoanthids.com!

Dat673

View Badges
Reaction score
I have added live rock to my existing tank before. I only had my rock in a bucket for 2 weeks before I added it. I don't think you would have a problem adding the rock to your tank

OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
I have added live rock to my existing tank before. I only had my rock in a bucket for 2 weeks before I added it. I don't think you would have a problem adding the rock to your tank
I probably will next week. Dont know if I should do any water changes on the tote water to remove any phosphate that could still be in the rock. I'm planning on running a little GFO on the display once I put the pillar in just in case

How do you feel about showing off your tank to "non-reefing" guests?

• I really enjoy it

Votes: 127 32.2%
  • I like it if they are interested

Votes: 199 50.5%
  • I really don't care either way

Votes: 36 9.1%
  • I don't like showing my tank to people who don't understand it

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 3.3%

Online statistics

Members online