Adding new clown Fish

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 13.5 gallon fluval tank. It has been up and running for two years. I have a Clownfish, TailSpot blenny and a Wheelers Shrimp goby with a pistol shrimp. I wanted to add another Clown fish to go with my Clown I already have. I planned on getting a smaller clown so that their isn't to much fighting. Is it ok to introduce a new clown later on when a clown has been established in the tank for 2 years. I am curious to see if I will have any problems I guess is my question doing it this way.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be more fish than the tank can tolerate but if you feel comfortable with maintenance then do it, it's likely the aggression of the already established clownfish but you can try to isolate the new one and see how they behave, if you don't observe something strange after a couple of days you can drop it and monitor the situation.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do the one clown, a pair of clowns will get too aggressive and you’d have to limit it to only those two fish and maybe one other. The tank isn’t too small for a pair (Otherwise, my 4 foot tank is too small for a pair) however it would be risky, these fish in the wild can hold up to a 6’x6’ square (Possibly bigger) and be in groups of 20 to 30.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do the one clown, a pair of clowns will get too aggressive and you’d have to limit it to only those two fish and maybe one other. The tank isn’t too small for a pair (Otherwise, my 4 foot tank is too small for a pair) however it would be risky, these fish in the wild can hold up to a 6’x6’ square (Possibly bigger) and be in groups of 20 to 30.
4 foot tank is a lot bigger than 13.5 gallons. Much more room to spread out aggression.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 foot tank is a lot bigger than 13.5 gallons. Much more room to spread out aggression.
Yeah, I still ended up with a dead clownfish.
Also, a pair of clowns in a 15g is possible, a pair in a 13g is just as possible. As I said above, wild behaviours are still shown in captive fish, guess you’ll never tame the behaviour of a fish out!!
IME the tank is too small for a pair of clowns. My female killed my male after a few months.
As stated here, you’ve mentioned a make and female fought to the death due to a tank too small, mine did the exact same and now I’m left with a beautiful misbar black photon clown.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 13.5 gallon fluval tank. It has been up and running for two years. I have a Clownfish, TailSpot blenny and a Wheelers Shrimp goby with a pistol shrimp. I wanted to add another Clown fish to go with my Clown I already have. I planned on getting a smaller clown so that their isn't to much fighting. Is it ok to introduce a new clown later on when a clown has been established in the tank for 2 years. I am curious to see if I will have any problems I guess is my question doing it this way.
For this situation i would introduce the male tiny one in a clear container in the aquarium. usually in a day or two he will start making the shaky response to the female pounding at the glass/plastic. Then introduce the male, if she is still being too aggressive, put the female into the clear box and the male in the main tank. Then release again the next day if the male is coming up and doing the shaky thing. This is what is used to pair maroon clownfish or more aggressive types and can work very well at establishing a pair if you have the time to do so and the female is willing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think to play it on the safe side I’ll avoid adding another clown. Thank you everyone for the input.
It’s our pleasure!! Also happy holidays everyone, hope you have a fun day tomorrow even if you don’t celebrate Christmas or something like that!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back