Adding old live rock to a 5 year old system.

OP
OP
michaelb

michaelb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok off we go. A little of this. An little of that. Thank you all anyone else I’ll gladly hear it. This weekend umm add more sand next weekend new rocks. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 7F5EF3C0-A80B-4077-BB6B-13D9C3A0D081.jpeg
    7F5EF3C0-A80B-4077-BB6B-13D9C3A0D081.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 32

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP said it was a busy street. Gas pollution can easily wipe out the tank.
Or it can come a meteorite from the sky and wipe the whole tank out ;) How - in the whole world - should gas residues survive a cleaning with water. should you not buy stones from a LFS near a busy street or in the city?. The picture shows a couple of very clean rocks and if you get in some bacteria - it is only good for the diversity of the tanks microbial fauna.

If I was in the OP:s situation - I had just rinse the stones in tap water - taking away larger organic residues (if they exist) and put the piece in the tank. Using common sense and not the sense of Internet. But what do I know - with only 50 years in the aquarium hobby and a whole professional life with water and water treatment? As I say in my signature

I am not young enough to know everything, but neither so old that I forgotten everything

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
michaelb

michaelb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess just want to be safe and not sorry. Thanks for the opinion thou. I live what you sig says. It reminds me of what a rock climber once told me.
There are old climbers and the there are bold climbers, but their are not old bold climbers.
Thanks for the time everyone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back