Adding old live rock to a 5 year old system.

OP
OP
michaelb

michaelb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok off we go. A little of this. An little of that. Thank you all anyone else I’ll gladly hear it. This weekend umm add more sand next weekend new rocks. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 7F5EF3C0-A80B-4077-BB6B-13D9C3A0D081.jpeg
    7F5EF3C0-A80B-4077-BB6B-13D9C3A0D081.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 32

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP said it was a busy street. Gas pollution can easily wipe out the tank.
Or it can come a meteorite from the sky and wipe the whole tank out ;) How - in the whole world - should gas residues survive a cleaning with water. should you not buy stones from a LFS near a busy street or in the city?. The picture shows a couple of very clean rocks and if you get in some bacteria - it is only good for the diversity of the tanks microbial fauna.

If I was in the OP:s situation - I had just rinse the stones in tap water - taking away larger organic residues (if they exist) and put the piece in the tank. Using common sense and not the sense of Internet. But what do I know - with only 50 years in the aquarium hobby and a whole professional life with water and water treatment? As I say in my signature

I am not young enough to know everything, but neither so old that I forgotten everything

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
michaelb

michaelb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess just want to be safe and not sorry. Thanks for the opinion thou. I live what you sig says. It reminds me of what a rock climber once told me.
There are old climbers and the there are bold climbers, but their are not old bold climbers.
Thanks for the time everyone.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back