Adding Pollen to reef tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adam10045
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Adam10045

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
188
Reaction score
14
Location
Benton, AR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As of last fall, I mix all my water outdoors on my portch. With spring here, the pollen is thick in the air and is settling in the 30 gallons of water I made for a water change. Will this effect my tank if I go ahaid and use the water? Will the coral feed off of pollen?
 
You really need to cover it if you leave it out for a prolonged time, because pollen will break down in your water and actually add nutrients to your water especially if you high pollen counts like we have in the deep south, it will pollute your water. Just cover it.
 
It's been outside since yesterday. The pollen is pretty heavy right now in arkansas. Wasn't sure what would happen if I added it to the tank. Thanks for the input!
 
Personally I wouldn't use it then. We spend so much time and money on our tanks, do you want to to put water into your tank that might be tainted? Our pollen is so bad right now that I have to rinse off my windshield every morning before I go to work...I wouldn't want that in my tank.
 
If you want to try pollen just go to your local GNC and buy you some all natural bee pollen granules. I throw it in the blender to make a fine powder. I dosed it for a year.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new