Adding Triggers.

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an assasi trigger and a niger trigger well established in my 220 gallon. What do you think my odds are adding a clown, blue throat, or red tail sargassum trigger?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big and how long established are the current triggers?

It may or may not work. I've had some stablished triggers behave aggressively to new triggers, and I've had some completely ignore new triggers. There is a lot af variation in personality.

BellaD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on the size of the current triggers as well as their temperament. I had a Niger established in my 125 and added a Blue Throat with no issues. However, I made sure the Blue Throat was larger than my Niger, and my Niger was still somewhat small, so it didn't have as nasty an attitude as some of the full grown ones I've seen.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a clown trigger in my 155 for 1.5 years. Adding fish with him is challenging but certain things have worked. My CT is around 7-8" now, they grow quickly. He is an aggressive trigger, but not terrible. I have never added another trigger though. I also have a purple tang that is very aggressive, and I have added other tangs. I have a thread on here about adding a harlequin tusk and how I made it work with the CT and PT. CT are one of the most attractive marine fish and worth the effort. IMO there are a few things I noticed that really help control the aggression.
1. FEED VERY VERY WELL.
2. Use acclimation box to help with the transition. I divided the tank using large pieces of plastic. I put the HT in 1/3 of the tank.
3. Try to move some rock around before you make the introduction, this will help with keeping all the attention off of the new fish and force them to create new territories.
5. FEED VERY VERY WELL.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tricky business, once established it's a very delicate proposition. The Xanthichthys triggers are very wimpy triggers, my niger would make short order of a bluejaw or redtail. Over the years I found that triggers actually need someone to rumble with, my triggers are always scratched and scraped up, i hear them rumbling behind the rocks. The trick is the balance between brothers fighting in the back yard, or a gang war; it's 50/50. If your heart's set on it, a comparably sized clown would be your best bet; one that's been in captivity for a while even better.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably have some aggression and fights, with a ripped fin here and there but after a couple days they should settle down in a large tank like yours. Also keep them well fed during this time.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back