Adventures in keeping a sps reef

OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Check on Bubble Magnus to make sure it can handle the water change volume. Not used them myself. For the DOS they usually go for $300. I don't use the DOS container, I use the $3 BRS dosing jugs. Probably have a dozen of them or so and just swap one out for the other when it gets low.

I have been using the Jagers for over 25 years. I have two 300 watt ones one of my tanks which have been controlled by Apex for 10 years.

For the Gyres I don't do the maintenance nearly as often as I should. When I do I take the baskets off and soak in a vinegar solution overnight and then scrub with a brush, rinse and reinstall. Going to try citric acid next time. Read a post last week about damage vinegar can do to certain plastics with magnets in them like for the MP pumps. I have read that some folks will clean the pumps every couple of weeks to keep the flow at max. Since these are not my main flow pumps I maintain every 2-3 months. One other thing to note on these, in one tank I have some really small snails and they get into the pump and they make a horrible racket and I have to pull them apart to get the snails out.

Nice on using the old tools - a lot of times they require a lot more skill than the newer ones:). I have some of my grandfathers tools that are 70+ years old and the quality is terrific.

Good point on the Bubble Magnus. I will have to look into that. The DOS is a bit over $400cdn. Gotta love that exchange rate...

I've used the Jager on smaller tanks. Never had any issues with them. Will probably go with that.

Sounds like the Gyres are a bit of a pain. Also seems like I would have to have some backup pumps for when I have to take them down to clean them. Maybe I can do one Gyre with a couple of those reef octopus pulse 4's.

haha ya those old tools can be interesting to use sometimes. His skillsaw has sparks coming out of it. Apparently it's fine though and has been doing it for years...

Galactic Coral Live Sale
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Got a few new toys yesterday. Still waiting for the octo pulse 2's to come.

I took a week off around Christmas to get the tank up and running.

Attachments

• PXL_20201127_004306084.jpg
    PXL_20201127_004306084.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 13
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Had some time to play around with the tank today. I'll have to do some changes to the plumbing. I had a question about connecting the planing to the sump. The sump came with 2 tube connectors. The pipe from the tank fits snugly into the connector. Do I need to glue them together? The top of the connector does unscrew.

Probably going to have some issues with my equipment cabinet being on one side and cables not reaching far enough. Right now if I have the skimmer in the first compartment of the sump it won't reach to the cabinet. Same issue with the pulse 2 on the far side.

Attachments

• PXL_20201210_224844568.jpg
    PXL_20201210_224844568.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20201210_224834188.jpg
    PXL_20201210_224834188.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20201210_224905117.jpg
    PXL_20201210_224905117.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 9
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
I completely overlooked the fact that I needed the connector cables for the wave engine. I tried to order 3, but they only had 1 in stock and won't be getting more until mid Jan. So I am going to have to look for another place to order them.

I did order some dosing containers to go with the doser. Would it be better to keep the doser and the containers in the stand or have them in the equipment cabinet?

I still need to pickup some heaters, a power bar, refugium light(any recommendations there?) and a ATO container.

I currently have glass lids. Would there be any benefit to switching to the mesh lid?

OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Been a long time since I updated this. There have been a few setbacks.

Took a long time to finish the stand due to covid and not being able to go to my grandparents place to finish it.

Stand is finally done and had plumbing issues. Had to pretty much redo all the plumbing. Had to order some of the pieces online since there was nothing in town.

Once the stand and plumbing was done I then had issues with the varios 4 pump and the wave engine. The pump would shut off randomly. The issue ended up being I had to create triggers and presets for the pump in order for it to run 24/7.

I'm now at a point where the tank is filled, wave engine is controlling the octo pulse 2's and the varios4 return pump. Apex is up and running. I need to adjust the salinity(added too much salt after filling) then the cycling can begin!

I still need to find a good refugium light. Other than that things are coming along well.

Attachments

• PXL_20210410_032350526.jpg
    PXL_20210410_032350526.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210410_032416007.jpg
    PXL_20210410_032416007.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210410_032435781.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210410_032435781.MP.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 3
Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
The fun continues. Apex salinity probe after calibration says salinity is at 1.032. my hanna salinity checker and refractometer say 1.025 after calibration. So it seems like apex is way off!

I'm also having issues with the atk again. Pump doesn't seem to be running at all. Light goes green, but no pump. Left it plugged in and it started beeping for the high water alert. Checked and water wasn't even touching the high water sensor.

Anyone else have issues with the atk? I haven't run it since I moved and took the tank down, but compared to the tunze I have on my 25 gallon it's incredibly unreliable. When I first got it, it worked fine for 6 months then wouldn't stop filling. Went through customer support and they had me send it back. Turns out the optical sensors were switched. Since then it's been very temperamental.

On the positive side, the tank is now cycling!

OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Cycle is coming along nicely. Diatoms have begun in a few places. Haven't tested for ammonia yet, but will probably do that tonight.

Still having issues with the atk. Can't get the pump to run. Debating on trying to get it fixed or just buying a tunze since they just seem to work and I have had so many problems with the atk.

So far, not very impressed with the apex. The salinity probe is crazy off even after calibrating. It's saying 42 and my refractomer and hanna checker both say 35.

I also seem to be having issues keeping tank at temp. I have a 200w and 300w heater. 200w on at 77 off at 78. 300w on at 78.2 and off at 79. They are both always on and fail to keep the tank at 77 if only one is on. Have I messed something up in the settings?

Still need a refugium light. Any suggestions on a good one?

Attachments

• cameringo_20210420_113901.jpg
    cameringo_20210420_113901.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 5
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Took my atk pump to the lfs and confirmed the pump is dead :mad:
So now I need to decide if I want to get a new pump or a new ato unit and get away from the atk

Looking at the tank this morning I see diatoms and a few green spots. Which is kind of odd. I haven't seen anything green at the diatom stage before. Something I should be concerned with?

OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Tank is coming along well so far. Diatoms are starting to fade away. Seeing more and more green on the rocks.

Last Tuesday I added 5 cerith snails. So far all are still alive.

I picked up a Tunze ATO to replace the ATK and got that setup this weekend so no more manual top offs!

I added the yellow tang from the temporary tank on yesterday. So far it seems to be doing fine.

So far not sure on stocking other than the yellow tang and probably a lawn mower blenny since I always seem to end up with lots of gha.

Open to suggestions on stocking!

Thinking of seeding the tank with pods. When is it too early to do that or should I be fine once the tank is cycled?

RAP Orlando

Are your corals ever subjected to the open air with no water for water changes or tank maintenance?

• Yes and I wish I had planned my aquascape better

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Yes even though I planned my aquascape for the possibilty

Votes: 65 29.1%
  • No as I planned for this not to happen

Votes: 55 24.7%
  • No not yet and I haven't planned for it

Votes: 59 26.5%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 17 7.6%
Tunze