Advice Appreciated: Transporting a VERY LARGE (final volume approx 800 gallons) tank

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a minute since I've been on. Quick recap:

Tank: 10ft x 4ft x 3ft acrylic monster (looks WAY bigger in real life than I had imagined :oops:)
Stand: Same dimensions (3ft tall), Aluminum

- Tank FINALLY completed and delivered in January, final installation pending some site prep work, currently sitting in garage.
- While trying to get contractors together, installation was put on pause because of a possibility of an un-planned, job-related move.
- Move confirmed. Leaving Tampa to move to Boston-area.
- Lord only knows how long it will take us to find a house that we can afford.

So, I have a 1500lbs tank in my garage that I spent a good deal of money on, and I have NO IDEA how to get it to Boston. I also have no idea what to do with it while we look for a house. Here's who I've talked to so far:

- Tank manufacturer: Couldn't help much, recommended hiring a crating company.
- LFS: Sad to lose the business, doesn't have anyone local to recommend
- Tank Installer: Can only deliver/transport/install within local area
- Crating Company: Have talked to 3 so far, no takers.
- Moving Company: LoL

What do I do? Have any of you had experience moving a tank of this size? How'd you do it? Who did you hire? Where did you store it?

I really, really, REALLY don't want to have to sell it. I have put so much time, money, and effort already getting this project together, and there is zero chance that I would be able to come close to what I've already invested if I have to sell it and start over. Besides, this is my dream tank and I don't want to get rid of it.

Please help!

mayyammay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call a rigging company to see if they can help. They are used to moving really expensive and heavy machinery without any issues...

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated! No remote work, huh?

a commercial moving company might help!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the tank that BADLY, rent a uhaul big enough to move it and drive it to Boston yourself

That's the least expensive option but going to consume a bunch of your time.

How BAD do you want it?

Last edited:

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will definitely need to be crated to be able to safely move and store the tank. Last time I dealt with a large tank like that, it was crated and we used a forklift with extensions to get it from the shipping warehouse onto a box truck with a lift gate.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rent a pod that is big enough. Hire some locals to pack it up and move/carry it in. Fill it up with other moving stuff. Pay them store it and move it to Boston.
The POD idea sounds the best and most economical !!!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also buy a 14 to 20 ish foot bumper pull tandem-axle trailer. Crate and load it up. Pull it to Boston yourself if you have a car/truck that can handle it - even a medium/larger SUV or a 1/2 ton truck could do this. You will have to pay to store it in a camper storage lot. When you are all done, you can sell the trailer. It will sit outside, or in a cave if you are lucky, so you have to wrap it up really well.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Cages ships tanks all over the country. You might call them up and see if they can give you some advice. They build tanks that size and ship them to customers so they have to know how to do it. And maybe their method is applicable for you.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will definitely need to be crated to be able to safely move and store the tank. Last time I dealt with a large tank like that, it was crated and we used a forklift with extensions to get it from the shipping warehouse onto a box truck with a lift gate.
Right, the difficulty is finding a local crating company with the equipment and willingness to do so.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rent a pod that is big enough. Hire some locals to pack it up and move/carry it in. Fill it up with other moving stuff. Pay them store it and move it to Boston.
I didn't think PODs came in a big enough size. I'm thinking it still needs to be crated though right?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the cost of moving vs the cost of buy new and having that delivered once you find a place.

Can't sell a giant tank? Cut it into 4, add new sides and make money! :)

(I'd help lift this if I wasn't old, but dang I got old. Good Luck! You'll figure it out.)

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also buy a 14 to 20 ish foot bumper pull tandem-axle trailer. Crate and load it up. Pull it to Boston yourself if you have a car/truck that can handle it - even a medium/larger SUV or a 1/2 ton truck could do this. You will have to pay to store it in a camper storage lot. When you are all done, you can sell the trailer. It will sit outside, or in a cave if you are lucky, so you have to wrap it up really well.

I'm just laughing at how ridiculous I'd look trying to pull a 20 foot trailer behind our Subaru Crosstrek LoL.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truck bro GIF
You got this!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the cost of moving vs the cost of buy new and having that delivered once you find a place.

Can't sell a giant tank? Cut it into 4, add new sides and make money! :)

(I'd help lift this if I wasn't old, but dang I got old. Good Luck! You'll figure it out.)
I appreciate your assumptions that I would be able to accomplish that task successfully haha.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back