advice for keeping frogspawns happy

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

seems like for the life of me I cant keep frogspawns happy. My tank is mostly euphylia based. I have plenty torches and hammers who are fully extended and growing well. My parameters are stable, I have an auto dose so levels stay consistent. No sign of brown jelly. The frogspawns arent dying, but seems like they arent thriving and just survive. There is no tissue loss.

parameters-
ph-8-8.3
alk- 9.5
cal- 450
phos- 0.09
mag- 1400
nitrate- 2-3
ammonia/nitrite- 0
temp- 77-78f

things I have tried-
-coral RX and iodine dipping
- checked for pests (none)
- lowered light intensity
- moved to sand bed

things I plan to do-
lower phospate to 0.01-0.03 (but reluctant to do so as just recovered from dinos)
increase my nitrate to 10-15. I heard euphylia like nitrates a bit higher
get an ICP test
run carbon
get rid of frogspawns and replace them with more torches and hammers

They have a pattern of opening up when the lights come on initially, then around 3pm, they either fully retract or have minimal poylp extension.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pho’s is getting high , nitrates low you wan t to get them up to 10 to 15 . And do you feed them ? Blow some oyster feast with reef roids or benepets at them . They like medium flow or less

OP
OP
924er

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pho’s is getting high , nitrates low you wan t to get them up to 10 to 15 . And do you feed them ? Blow some oyster feast with reef roids or benepets at them . They like medium flow or less

I feed reef AB plus only, I never target fed them. I have some reef roids, plus its hard to feed a retracted coral. Ill try though

nitrates- working on increasing it to 10ppm

phosphates- I will drop it slowly. I really have the worse luck with bottoming out phosphates, even when using lower than recommended dose of phosgaurd or rowa. Ive had dinos, it sucks.

Ive tried medium flow, and tried no flow. I cant seem to rule out of flow is an issue. They just open up around 10am and close up around 3pm daily. Its such a weird trend.

I forgot to mention, I am battling bryopisis with reef flux, its been in the system for 10 days and I have 4 days left before I can add carbon and do a waterchanged but these frogspawn have been ticked before this

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any oyster feast as most of the time my coral open up with that in the water . You may have to wait til you get the parameters straight first for them to start feeling better

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed reef AB plus only, I never target fed them. I have some reef roids, plus its hard to feed a retracted coral. Ill try though

nitrates- working on increasing it to 10ppm

phosphates- I will drop it slowly. I really have the worse luck with bottoming out phosphates, even when using lower than recommended dose of phosgaurd or rowa. Ive had dinos, it sucks.

Ive tried medium flow, and tried no flow. I cant seem to rule out of flow is an issue. They just open up around 10am and close up around 3pm daily. Its such a weird trend.

I forgot to mention, I am battling bryopisis with reef flux, its been in the system for 10 days and I have 4 days left before I can add carbon and do a waterchanged but these frogspawn have been ticked before this
Ok I just read that you are using reef flux witch could be what’s ticking them off . Get a tuxedo urchin to take care of bryopsis . I alway try to go natural first and chemical last resort. My guess is the reef flux ticking them off and until it’s out of your tank they will act this way . That’s my opinion from experience a ways back

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back