Advice for single Ocellaris Clown

Mckreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish experts out there I have a question. About 2 years ago I bought my first salt water tank and it came with 2 Ocellaris Clowns(pretty sure Ocellaris). It was a 25G tank. One day the slightly larger clown started picking on the slightly smaller clown and he(I presume he) died. The single clown has become aggressive to the point where I can’t add any fish. Any time I add new fish she picks on it and kills it. I tried putting her in the sump while new fish got acclimated (4 weeks) and brought her back in and still same result. I even tried changing rock work around while she was in the sump. Same result. I would like to add new fish and I would like to have a pair of clowns. I have moved up to a 45G now and have 2 pajama cardinals in the tank which the larger one does pick on smaller one from time to time as does clown. I have a Royal Gramma who no one messes with. That mouth is intimidating. Then I have the general clean up crew.

So my question to the Clown community is, should I donate the Clown to another reefer and get my new fish and 2 juvenile Clown. QT all fish and then add new fish (not clowns) and add the new clowns last. OR should I get 1 new very small Clown as a new mate for existing clown? Would my existing clown stop picking on new fish since she would have a mate? Or maybe add new fish and new clown to QT and move existing clown to sump for duration of QT. Add new fish (sans clown) from QT to DT. Wait a few weeks and introduce both Clowns to DT last.

Ultimately I would like to add 4-5 new fish. Thinking a goby to pair my snapping shrimp, maybe another cardinal or other goby and thats about it. Would love 6 chromis but probably pushing livestock for a 45G. This is a reef tank too.

Any advice?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your current clown will never let others in. I had the same situation although with a pair. They took over a 210g. Crazy things.
I would donate it to a different environment and get some juvies. Then you have time to add all the fish you want until they start mating. Then, I doubt any more will be welcome. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back