what would you do?

• Total voters

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been planning a new cube for some time now...and decided to have custom build by the great TroyLee. I really wanted a 24x24x16" rimless tank with a nice C2C overflow. All was well until last night. I sat up just as I was falling asleep and realized that my MP10 (major player in my new build) will work on a max thickness of 3/8"; I was informed this morning that a 24x24x16" rimless needs to be 1" thick for obvious reasons, so I'm left with a few choices and wanted some advice from fellow reefers.

I'm leaning towards the brace....but one of the major reasons I wanted to go for shorter tank (down from my 20x20x20" solana) was because I'm short and I hate soaking my entire arm every time I have to adjust something - so I guess I need some reassurance that the brace isn't that bad, or maybe it is? The bottom line is: what would you do in this situation?

Last edited:

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally do not like arylic b/c its scratch prone and little things like using a magnet to clean will make it looks like crap in a few years

OP
OP
bob

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally do not like arylic b/c its scratch prone and little things like using a magnet to clean will make it looks like crap in a few years

I've been convinced that acrylic isn't that bad as long as you're careful. I'm more worried about not wasting $$; I purchased the MP10 a few months back and really love the pump so I'd like to be able to use it. As of now I'm leaning towards the Euro-Brace (Troylee says its not so bad!) but I was curious as to what others thought about it. A rimless tank is ideal for me, but an additional $500 is hard to justify.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like your only option is to brace it or go with a different source of flow... I think bracing it is compromising too much in aesthetics.

What size are you planning the overflow on being?

OP
OP
bob

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like your only option is to brace it or go with a different source of flow... I think bracing it is compromising too much in aesthetics.

What size are you planning the overflow on being?

I think I'm just going to brace it. TroyLee showed me a previous 24x24x24 cube with 2" euro that he built and it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would:
IMG00134.jpg

After spending ~$1000 in the past couple of weeks on an AI & Apex I can't justify the additional $500

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt settle IMO but its your journey bro, idk your level of experience ,but it is always wise in this hobby to just spend the extra $ its a heck of a lot better then selling this tank in a year or two b/c your not 100% satisfied. However, the only person who will care is you, b/c everyone else will be looking at whats inside

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same issue. In the end I ended up going with the euro brace. As long as its trimless it almost looks rimless and you still get a nice sexy look, only with more strength. I dwelled on it for months and finally realized the only reason I cared was cause rimless was the trendy thing to do. I went with the brace and It really doesn't bother me. With that said, I would have gone glass before I bought an Apex, JMO though.

OP
OP
bob

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same issue. In the end I ended up going with the euro brace. As long as its trimless it almost looks rimless and you still get a nice sexy look, only with more strength. I dwelled on it for months and finally realized the only reason I cared was cause rimless was the trendy thing to do. I went with the brace and It really doesn't bother me. With that said, I would have gone glass before I bought an Apex, JMO though.

thanks for reassuring me =). and I need the apex to control my AI Sol!

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 95 is euro braced & it doesn't bother me at all except when I had to cut some of it to hang my refugium on it nice to have the ledge to put my kalk dripper on keep it clean tho or it will distract

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like glass but with the quality of troys work.. i wouldnt mind the acrylic!! and plus you sound like you know what you are doing and wont do anything to scratch it

Last edited:

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is a nightmare waiting to happen. If it's not you who scratches it, it WILL be someone else unintentionally of course. It's too easily scratched for anything bigger than a pico imo. That being said Euro bracing doesn't look bad as long as it's small, nothing beats a rimless starphire though.

OP
OP
bob

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, and just admit it cause they're cool, LOL.

you win, I couldn't resist being able to control my tank from my phone. Plus the new $150 price point for the Jr. made a world of difference.

I like glass but with the quality of troys work.. i wouldnt mind the acrylic!! and plus you sound like you know what you are doing and wont do anything to scratch it

I had a 55 gallon acrylic a few years back and hated it - but it was my first tank and I had no idea what I was doing!

Acrylic is a nightmare waiting to happen. If it's not you who scratches it, it WILL be someone else unintentionally of course. It's too easily scratched for anything bigger than a pico imo. That being said Euro bracing doesn't look bad as long as it's small, nothing beats a rimless starphire though.

As much as I'd love rimless starphire, the risk of scratches wins over $500 at this point in my life =) At least the scratches can be buffed out unlike scratches in starphire!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back