Advice needed

New2It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to fish keeping but I have question and appreciate any advice. When I purchase water from my local shop (there is no other options in the area) I always find that the salinity is around 1.017 which I know is low.
My tank is at 1.026 as I add salt to the purchased water.

If I buy fine and/or coral and add them to my tank with the higher salinity. Is it likely to harm them?

Any thoughts or ideas of how I can tackle this?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Curious, why does your LFS sell saltwater with such low salinity????

3C2EA4DC-BA22-4403-A522-D492C300A80C.gif

Upvote 0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so helpful thank you so much. Can I ask what the reason is for dropping the airstone in the bag is for. I am sorry to question, I just really want to succeed at this and I appreciate your help.
The fish in the bag is using the oxygen in the bag water, and producing carbon dioxide. The air stone keeps the gas levels in the bag water safe while he is acclimated.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but I don’t know what standard acclimation practices are. I feel lost really. I’ve read books but nowhere did they cover how to do this. If you can help me I would appreciate it so much. My email is [email protected]

Not a problem my friend. This is why we are here after all right? So we can ALL learn from each other.

Check out this video on acclimation.

I prefer float acclimation as I don't get temperature changes this way.

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but I don’t know what standard acclimation practices are. I feel lost really. I’ve read books but nowhere did they cover how to do this. If you can help me I would appreciate it so much. My email is [email protected]
New2It,

Unfortunately, acclimation is a complex subject with very many differing opinions. There are probably more "techniques" than there are SW hobbyists. The basic idea is to acclimate the fish to your water parameters from their water parameters without causing stress or shock.

Part of the problem with giving a simple answer is that a lot depends on the fish water in the bag. If the fish has been in the bag for many hours, for instance bought online, the bag will have a low pH by the time you open it which is actually protecting the fish from ammonia. Once you open the bag, if you were to introduce your tank water and raise the pH quickly the fish could suffer from ammonia burns which can be fatal. If the fish's water is a significantly different salinity you need to change the salinity very slowly to avoid osmotic shock. If the shipper/store uses medication in their water it may require yet additional techniques.

Spend some time reading posts on acclimation. The only fairly universal part of acclimation is that the first thing you normally do is adjust the fish's water temperature to match your tank's temperature by floating the bag. 15 minutes is the oft quoted advice but of course it really depends on how much water the fish is in. Usually 15 minutes is fine but I have received fish in a quart or more of water. I gave them 30 minutes.

If the supplier provided acclimation guidelines follow them. If not ask them.

EDIT--- and if they can't answer you, shop elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to fish keeping but I have question and appreciate any advice. When I purchase water from my local shop (there is no other options in the area) I always find that the salinity is around 1.017 which I know is low.

If I buy fine and/or coral and add them to my tank with the higher salinity. Is it likely to harm them?

This is the sentence he is referencing. Most of us knew it was a typo and figured out what you intended. There will always be someone to complicate a simple thing.

Upvote 0

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. I test it and it always tests at that. I’m just lost as what to do.
I'm a newbie too....and I'd like to say to you, good job on noticing that your lfs is serving up less than standard salinity! I think that's something a lot of beginners would miss.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so helpful thank you so much. Can I ask what the reason is for dropping the airstone in the bag is for. I am sorry to question, I just really want to succeed at this and I appreciate your help.

The reason for the airstone is to oxygenate the water. Most local stores simply put water and fish in a small bag with a bit of air at the top and send you on your way. Higher quality stores will inflate the bags with pure oxygen which will give you a longer period of time to get home.

I personally have never found it necessary to add the airstone and my nearest LFS (Local Fish Store) is at least a 45 minute drive. But, it could make a difference if your acclimation period is prolonged.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my personal acclimation procedure...

First float the unopened bags in the tank for 15-20 minutes. Then open bags and drain off about 1/2 the water through a net into a bucket. I do this in case the fish gets out. It has never happened, but I don't always use an empty bucket for this and I would hate to lose a fish to something that simple and avoidable.

I then roll down the top of the bag several times to provide a semi-rigid opening. I then take a small clamp, (think large plastic clothespin) with NO metal that can interact with the tank, and pin the bag to the rim of the tank. Using a turkey baster that is dedicated to my tanks, I add 1/4 cup or so of tank water every 5-10 minutes.

I continue adding tank water in this manner for an hour or so. Then I pour the water and fish into a net over a bucket and add the fish to the tank. I NEVER allow any water from the LFS to enter my tank.

Notice, I never checked salinity at all? I also never checked any other parameters of any kind.

This is what works for ME. I also have over 35 years of aquarium keeping as a background for the confidence I have in doing what I do.

As you learn in this hobby, you will develop techniques that work for you that may differ from what is "Taught".

There are very few "rules" in this hobby that are cast in stone.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral acclimation process is completely different. I don't acclimate corals at all. I open the containers they are sent in, take the frag out and drop it in prepared dip solution for 15 minutes (or whatever YOUR dip calls for) and then directly into the tank.

Upvote 0

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great advise up top. I usually let bag float in my tank for 15 minutes. While that is happening I get a 5 gallon bucket an some airline tubing secure it to the top of the tank and tie a knot in it. I usually set the drip rate to one drip a second. Set the fish in with the water it came with in the bucket. If I’m buying from a LFS I usually let that that sit for about 2-4 hours. If the bucket gets full get a cup and empty excess water into the sink not back into your tank. If I get a fish from online I usually add an air stone as the water it’s in will become toxic once bag is cut open. And use same process above.

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Da Reef!

Upvote 0

joseperezred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any reason why you can’t just make your own salt water? If you done have an RO unit you can still buy the RO water and make your own salt to your liking. Just food for thought.

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple: I open the bag with the new fish and drop in an air hose with an air stone. Now time is on my side. Lol! (If the room is cold, you can float the bag in your tank as well— use something like plastic laundry clips or potato chip bag clips to keep the bag from flopping over.)

Now over the course of time, take a little plastic cup’s worth of higher-salinity tank water and pour it in the fish bag. (If the fish bag salinity needs to be ‘lowered’ to match your tank water, dilute the bag water with fresh RO/DI water.) Check your bag water every 1/2 hour or so until you have a match to your tank.

Per your original post, raising salinity for a fish from 1.017 to 1.026, I wouldn’t do faster than over the course of half-a-day for a cheap damsel… some people might take a full day or more for a rare or expensive fish.
I'd suggest a drop of prime or similar into the bag to detox any ammonia may also be a good idea if you have to make big changes in salinity.

The fish is peeing into that small volume of water in the bag, and it may not take long to become toxic given the lower pH due to fish respiration.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back