Advice needed

New2It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to fish keeping but I have question and appreciate any advice. When I purchase water from my local shop (there is no other options in the area) I always find that the salinity is around 1.017 which I know is low.
My tank is at 1.026 as I add salt to the purchased water.

If I buy fine and/or coral and add them to my tank with the higher salinity. Is it likely to harm them?

Any thoughts or ideas of how I can tackle this?

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of good advice given above. I use an acclimation drip that slowly drips water from my tank into the bag with the fish. Very cheap from most lfs. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to fish keeping but I have question and appreciate any advice. When I purchase water from my local shop (there is no other options in the area) I always find that the salinity is around 1.017 which I know is low.

If I buy fine and/or coral and add them to my tank with the higher salinity. Is it likely to harm them?

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Already great advice on here. +1 vote get your own RO/DI unit and keep under sink if not in use ... let's you get away from that LFS entirely since you mix salt into the salty water... depending on size of your tank and how much water you're making, larger quantities of water recommend just mounting on laundry room wall and filling large container. Not right answer for all, but works great for me (info in my build thread, link within my signature).

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could be calibration issues on either you or LFS’s side

welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

New2It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of good advice given above. I use an acclimation drip that slowly drips water from my tank into the bag with the fish. Very cheap from most lfs. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Thanks so much for the help, advice and warm welcome from everyone. Would you recommend acclimation for corals as well using the same method? (I am only thinking about softies until I have more experience).

Thanks once again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

New2It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Jedi1199, consider buying RODI water or investing in a RODI water filter and making everything yourself, since you're already doing half of that work anyway.
Thanks for the advice but I’m concerned that purchasing an RODI unit will baffle me. I live in a flat and only have a kitchen and bathroom mixer taps so not even sure a unit can be used with them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

New2It

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined.

Already great advice on here. +1 vote get your own RO/DI unit and keep under sink if not in use ... let's you get away from that LFS entirely since you mix salt into the salty water... depending on size of your tank and how much water you're making, larger quantities of water recommend just mounting on laundry room wall and filling large container. Not right answer for all, but works great for me (info in my build thread, link within my signature).

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
I’m almost as new to fish keeping as I am to forums so not sure is know how to start a thread lol.
I’m a little nervous when it comes to considering an RODI unit as I live in a flat with only mixer taps so not sure the unit would work with them.

Upvote 0

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the help, advice and warm welcome from everyone. Would you recommend acclimation for corals as well using the same method? (I am only thinking about softies until I have more experience).

Thanks once again.
I don’t personally. I just use a coral dip.

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m almost as new to fish keeping as I am to forums so not sure is know how to start a thread lol.
I’m a little nervous when it comes to considering an RODI unit as I live in a flat with only mixer taps so not sure the unit would work with them.

Often fish stores keep salinity low as a way to suppress parasites on fish. FOWLRs can have much more flexibility about where to keep level, BUT salinity must be stable. @peter99 around here salinity ranges from 1.018 to 1.028 depending on DFW local fish store. I keep a 5gallon PetSmart combo as a QT. When not in use it lives under my desk, but any new fish purchase I need to QT just to get salinity correct ... so it makes sure I do some observation time since I keep my reef tank in home about 1.025-1.026 since most fish can handle swings only .02 per day max (and I bring them in line slower than max)

There are adapters to thread your future RODI to your sink taps, whenever you decide to go RODI. Some keep a unit under their kitchen or bathroom sinks, hook up when needed and then put back underneath sink.

Creating a thread is easy... you already did it to start (this) your Welcome thread we are all posting within. You just go to the top of the Forum section and click the button - voila new thread created.

Particular to build thread creation, this is info they gave me when I was new:

One fun way to learn from others and keep a record of your reef aquarium is to create your very own build thread! A build thread is just a thread that tells us about your aquarium and might include photos. You can create your build thread in one of these forums. MEMBER'S AQUARIUMS

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back