Advice on power head placement and flow amount

BennyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am new to the saltwater game and wanted some advice on powerhead placement. I have moved them probably 10 times and feel like I’m getting close. I have also read a ton of forums and articles, but would like some personalized feedback if possible.

To start: this is a 55 gallon saltwater tank currently housing 2 clowns, a blenny, and 2 cleaner shrimp. I am wanting to add a few more, but taking my time. I have 3 powerheads that are rated at 800 GPH (2) and 2100 GPH (1). This gives me a total of 2900 GPH.

At the current time I am doing a FOWLR with plans to upgrade to a much larger tank in a year or two and venture into corals and such.

Question 1: Am I overdoing the flow? (Current turnover rate around 52)

Question 2: Based on the videos would you recommend moving the powerheads or do you feel they are in decent placement? (The one on the right is pointed directly at one of the powerheads on the left creating some nice turbulent flow and surface agitation. The 2nd one on the left is pointed at the back wall to move some dead spots I had behind my rock.)

Question 3: Any other recommendations you may have just based on what you see?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks good, I like very strong flow in my tanks. A good way to judge the flow is to put an airstone in, then you can see how the bubbles flow.

But once get algae, you might need to adjust the flow to eliminate dead spots where algae grows. Also, when you get corals, you might need to adjust the flow again. Every time you take out your equipment to clean it, somehow it never goes back in the same way and you'll have to adjust again. Its a forever thing.

Your tank looks very nice, IMO. My only suggestion is to get more rocks.

OP
OP
BennyBlenny

BennyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks good, I like very strong flow in my tanks. A good way to judge the flow is to put an airstone in, then you can see how the bubbles flow.

But once get algae, you might need to adjust the flow to eliminate dead spots where algae grows. Also, when you get corals, you might need to adjust the flow again. Every time you take out your equipment to clean it, somehow it never goes back in the same way and you'll have to adjust again. Its a forever thing.

Your tank looks very nice, IMO. My only suggestion is to get more rocks.
Thank you! More rock is definitely on the list! I appreciate your input.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back