AEFW experiments and study

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting here as well! Every forum needs to see this, and once again, THANK YOU for doing this!

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the thought that being that there is no food source for them and they are beginning to starve, that out of preservation and survival alone that they are laying more eggs than normal. But then again I have seen an egg cluster on the base of an acro colony and super glued over it and in 3 days there were 3 more clusters of eggs around the glued ones.

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with everyones comments. This is AWESOME!

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10, Experiment 1 (Nov 14th)

Compartment 1: No change (16 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 5 AEFW present
Compartment 2: No change (10 total egg clusters to date), all remaining 6 AEFW present
Compartment 3: No change (10 total egg clusters to date), all 10 AEFW present
Compartment 4: 6 AEFW dead (1 egg cluster to date), 1 remaining AEFW
Compartment 5: All remaining 5 AEFW dead – compartment empty

Notes:

As of today, all of compartment 5, the smallest AEFW, are dead. They were the 1-2mm group in size. Just 1 remaining AEFW in compartment 4, the 2-4mm size group, the largest of them is the sole survivor. Multiple experiment runs will verify or disprove these results, of the smaller AEFW all dying around days 9-10. The larger AEFW continue to live, but are much much less active at night than when first removed from the Acropora.

Waterchange performed at 10am and 10pm

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Very cool. A one who has done battle with them, this is So very interesting. Tagging along.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great! Thanks for posting and keeping up to date!

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well maybe I should be more elaborate my buddy did the same thing it took about a month with no food source for all to die including new hach wonder how close your result's will be to his

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading one of your initial observations about them being nocturnal

Would it be possible to have a another container that had light 24/7

Since you said your observations only showed them laying eggs in the dark. Could running lights on a tank that has aefw 24/7. At a reduced intensity of course. Discourage egg laying and help with treatment. No eggs/ no new aefw?

So maybe for a hobbyist that has them. Add a single 10 k t-5 to run when the mains go out for a week straight while dipping and maybe it can help break the life cycle

Bob

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading one of your initial observations about them being nocturnal

Would it be possible to have a another container that had light 24/7

Since you said your observations only showed them laying eggs in the dark. Could running lights on a tank that has aefw 24/7. At a reduced intensity of course. Discourage egg laying and help with treatment. No eggs/ no new aefw?

So maybe for a hobbyist that has them. Add a single 10 k t-5 to run when the mains go out for a week straight while dipping and maybe it can help break the life cycle

Bob

Already planning on it, that'll be a future experiment. Its currently on my list of things to find out in my second post. Multiple compartments, several lit normally, and several lit 24/7. Compare the activity and egg laying in both compartments and see how the light affects them. I added that question when I verified they were in fact nocturnal.

Last edited:

slivacki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. Have dealt with these in past. Would love to see more info on them.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cat goes R2R!
I was waiting for you to do a roll call with this experiment.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys lay eggs like CrAzY! I didn't know they were nocturnal. This is a great study your doing thank you so much for doing this. Taggin along.

Back