Aerosol transmition?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone PLEASE tell me this isn’t real. I read the article. I researched the hell out of it. Sounds legit. But come on. While I have to admit it’s POSSIBLE, is it unlikely? I mean, has it happened to anyone? is there anyone out there that can definitively say it happened and they’re sure they didn’t cross contaminate? I’m starting to think this hobby may be too much for me. I legitimately care about every single one of the poor creatures my lack of knowslge has killed. At what point do you just stop the massacre?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone PLEASE tell me this isn’t real. I read the article. I researched the hell out of it. Sounds legit. But come on. While I have to admit it’s POSSIBLE, is it unlikely? I mean, has it happened to anyone? is there anyone out there that can definitively say it happened and they’re sure they didn’t cross contaminate? I’m starting to think this hobby may be too much for me. I legitimately care about every single one of the poor creatures my lack of knowslge has killed. At what point do you just stop the massacre?
It's possible. The thing is it only occurred over a distance of a few feet with a fan blowing from one tank to the other.

It's more or less a precaution to take.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible, just something to keep in mind. I keep my QT in a separate room with its own tools and equipment... not just for this reason, but I’m also less likely to “double dip” if I’d have to walk across the house to do it lol

It does get easier, and you do start to see more success with time and experience. But, even the most seasoned reef keepers still have losses from time to time and if you are a decent human with a good heart... you feel them.

No shame in feeling bad, but try not to be too hard on yourself for making mistakes-we all have. Just keep reading and learning as much as you can!

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible, just something to keep in mind. I keep my QT in a separate room with its own tools and equipment... not just for this reason, but I’m also less likely to “double dip” if I’d have to walk across the house to do it lol

It does get easier, and you do start to see more success with time and experience. But, even the most seasoned reef keepers still have losses from time to time and if you are a decent human with a good heart... you feel them.

No shame in feeling bad, but try not to be too hard on yourself for making mistakes-we all have. Just keep reading and learning as much as you can!

Aww thx. I’ve been at it almost 2 yrs and have had disease wipe out most of my tank twice, along w several losses along the way. 1st outbreak due to no quarantine. 2nd outbreak due to cross contamination. Would you believe I dropped a fish? TWICE?!? Same fish. TWICE!!! Unbelievable. But thank you for your kind words. I’ve got 5 fish and 10 inverts left and I’m gonna give em my best. Just glad a found this place :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back