AF-RS170 Reefer 170 automatic roller

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have any of you found a reservoir that will fit next the the sump in the Reefer170 cabinet? hardest dimension for me is the 4.5" space to the side between the sump and cabinet. or are all of you using an ATO reservoir that sits outside the cabinet?

glossy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to give everyone a quick update. When I installed the float switch bracket as shown in the instructions (see FIGURE 1), my filter roll looked barely saturated at all. (see FIGURE 2). I suspect that since the float literally turns the motor on and off with no added logic controller, the factory position can accidentally activate the float before it is able to fully saturate.
Before installing my second roll, I rotated the float switch bracket 180 degrees so that the float switch can sit at a higher position. After I did that, its a night and day difference in the roll saturation. (see FIGURE 3). With the float at the new higher position, there is still plenty of height before the chamber would overflow if clogged. Now I can say this unit is performing exactly as I expect it to.

af-rs170-4.PNG

FIGURE 1

AF-RS170-2.jpeg

FIGURE 2

AF-RS170-3.jpeg

FIGURE 3
Just a quick word of gratitude to kasso187 for this awesome post. I have a Red Sea 170 and just bought the Aquamaxx filter roller, and was having trouble getting it to work properly. I've made the modification recommended here and look forward to better results! Thanks again! :)

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everyone having difficulty getting replacement filter for the device, or just me? I haven’t seen it available for over a month, and I’m getting absolutely no response from emails sent to Aquamaxx!

simplety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everyone having difficulty getting replacement filter for the device, or just me? I haven’t seen it available for over a month, and I’m getting absolutely no response from emails sent to Aquamaxx!
I got an email back the other day “
Thank you for contacting Aquamaxx. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic we have experienced stocking issues. We should have these back with our distributors in 6-8 weeks. I suggest you add yourself to the notify my option at our US distributors page (Marine Depot). Rolls are currently still available. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Jose S.
Aquamaxx Support.”

needless to say marine depot had stock so I ordered two rolls. Hopefully I am good for at least 6 months

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to do the same, shipping sucks but I am just about done my current roll.

On a side note: Any know if the ones for the DI-4 will fit. The dimensions seem to be the same. May try one and see.

Last edited:

simplety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to do the same, shipping sucks but I am just about done my current roll.

On a side note: Any know if the ones for the DI-4 will fit. The dimensions seem to be the same. May try one and see.
The aquamaxx roll and a 3.5” and the klir is 4”. I’m having doubts it will work

simplety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note, this is the best thing I put on the tank. No more stupid filter socks. Water looks polished clean. No3 and po4 have dropped significantly as well. Feeding schedule has remained the same.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquamaxx roll and a 3.5” and the klir is 4”. I’m having doubts it will work
I picked up one as part of another order to test as their online pictures showed the filter section was smaller than 4" and figured what the heck before I commit to $45 USD for shipping.

Ironically enough it is actually smaller than the Aquamaxx one by more than 1/4".
DI4.png

The hole is also smaller so you need to use your own way of holding it. The fabric is also much finer. I put it on to see what would happen but it may end up bypassing some (floss does cover the holes fully). Have some left over floss as a backup.

On another note, this is the best thing I put on the tank. No more stupid filter socks. Water looks polished clean. No3 and po4 have dropped significantly as well. Feeding schedule has remained the same.
Yes I agree, it is a fantastic addition only issue has been these darn rolls.

Last edited:

simplety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just broke. Was new in may 2021. The motor turns but internally the unit is busted.

Attachments

• C56D0520-ACC5-4795-B5E8-B52B7E8E0E59.jpeg
    C56D0520-ACC5-4795-B5E8-B52B7E8E0E59.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1878.MOV
    7.3 MB

russomanno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I please get some help here.
so I bought this roller but don’t have a Red Sea. Says will fit other “similar” sumps wherever that means. Anyways, I’ve absolutely never used a roller before nor seen one setup in a sump. Having problems understanding the inlet situation…. Does the water just need to enter the open side of the filter and at what level in the water do I need to put the sensor?
very confused. Would love to see some side pictures installed. I am changing my plumbing for this so need it to work first shot.

Attachments

• 781E3CD3-7792-4BF9-AB71-3F2270044A32.jpeg
    781E3CD3-7792-4BF9-AB71-3F2270044A32.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 158

russomanno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should be asking… how far out of the water does your sensor sit when the filter is 100% clean?

Attachments

• 7239E457-4A0B-4448-9A07-F46843F5C608.jpeg
    7239E457-4A0B-4448-9A07-F46843F5C608.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 150

Sharkbait13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes its still been working great for me. Just to give you some anecdotal "proof", Marine Depot ran out of replacement rolls for a while and I didn't have this thing running for at least 2 months (due to not having any rolls on hand. In that time frame, my display became noticeably dirtier more rapidly. IE, more particles in the column and algae buildup on the glass every 1.5-2 days. I also had a minor GHA outbreak during this period. The only thing that changed in that time frame was the roller being down. Previously, my system has been stable with 0.03 phosphate and <5 nitrate (i have to dose nitrate every 2 weeks).

The pipes have to be cut to make clearance for the collection chamber. The only thing I would do different if I had to install another...I would cut the pipes with a bit of a slash cut instead of straight cut (slash towards front of tank; see image below).
There's no additional noise associated with doing this, since both pipes remain submerged in water (with or without the roller installed). The collection chamber (white plastic basket) is separate from the roll carrier (clear plastic), and so the roll carrier lifts up to replace the roll. Its a bit of a PITA (why I would do slash cut), but very doable leaving the collector in tact.

1607388857857.png
Do the pipes need to be cut for the reefer-170 too??

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this would fit in the Max-E AIO rear sump? I'm looking for something to replace the terrible media tray

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back