AFR to raise Alkalinity ?

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still new to dosing my parameters has been stables for a year but yet my corals doesn’t seem all happy. Tank is LPS and softies

What I’m dosing ;
I’m using AFR to raise ALK
Redsea for calcium & magnesium

Parameters
ALK 8.3-8.6
Cal 420-450
Mag 1350-1500
Phosphate .10
Ph 8

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its say”All For Reef” for a reason ;)
meaning I think it includes ca & Mg
…might want to skip the Calcium and Mag for now and re-test/review package instructions

..what are you using for test BTW ?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont argue a different opinion/approach but I’m not too squeamish on adjustment doses of magnesium and/or calcium all at once ..(within reason)
So I would just adjust those and be done with it and continue on with my all for reef daily dose (whatever that is) …
BTW, might be a lil trial and error period tweeting the AFR

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still new to dosing my parameters has been stables for a year but yet my corals doesn’t seem all happy. Tank is LPS and softies

What I’m dosing ;

Parameters
ALK 8.3-8.6
Cal 420-450
Mag 1350-1500
Phosphate .10
Ph 8

@Doctorgori isn't incorrect. They are saying that Tropic Marin All For Reef is a single dosing solution to manage Alk, Ca, and Mg. Basically you should get the levels to what you want then calculate a dose to start. Start a bit lower and test in a day or two. Adjust slowly as the Alk can take a couple of days, depending on the system, to show up. Plenty of threads on the web that explain why it does this. Then once you get it set that is more or less it. You can manually correct a parameter if needed by manually dosing that component. You should not be doing a daily dose in addition to TM AFR. That means you do not have the proper dose of AFR.

I understand you are saying your corals do not seem happy. I'm not sure what that means so maybe a better description would help and/or a couple photo's. The parameters appear ok. Unhappy corals, your description, can be several things like coral warfare, hands in the display, salinity, bottom out parameters like nitrate, fish nipping on them, and more.

TL; DR - better description and photo would help. Could be any number of things causing the concern.

TM AFR Instructions below:
1690506007994.png

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Doctorgori isn't incorrect. They are saying that Tropic Marin All For Reef is a single dosing solution to manage Alk, Ca, and Mg. Basically you should get the levels to what you want then calculate a dose to start. Start a bit lower and test in a day or two. Adjust slowly as the Alk can take a couple of days, depending on the system, to show up. Plenty of threads on the web that explain why it does this. Then once you get it set that is more or less it. You can manually correct a parameter if needed by manually dosing that component. You should not be doing a daily dose in addition to TM AFR. That means you do not have the proper dose of AFR.

I understand you are saying your corals do not seem happy. I'm not sure what that means so maybe a better description would help and/or a couple photo's. The parameters appear ok. Unhappy corals, your description, can be several things like coral warfare, hands in the display, salinity, bottom out parameters like nitrate, fish nipping on them, and more.

TL; DR - better description and photo would help. Could be any number of things causing the concern.

TM AFR Instructions below:
1690506007994.png
Unhappy as dying corals. I don’t have pictures at the moment. No fish was nipping at them because I only have clowns and Anthias

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I’m dosing ;

Parameters
ALK 8.3-8.6
Cal 420-450
Mag 1350-1500
Phosphate .10
Ph 8

If your corals are unhappy, its not because of the AFR or any of the parameters your posted, which are all fine.

I'd look for other explanations.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried… I thought it was lighting but it wasn’t . I’m so lost.

Lots of things impact corals, from easy to nearly impossible to diagnose.

Are all corals unhappy? Or just some?

Do you use tap water?

Ever run an ICP test?

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of things impact corals, from easy to nearly impossible to diagnose.

Are all corals unhappy? Or just some?

Do you use tap water?

Ever run an ICP test?
Just frogspawns, torches and mushrooms.
RODI
Never ran an ICP, that should be my next step.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is fine.
A4R is not used to raise alk.
I just went to A4R on my 20g.
It took 9 days of dosing alk with A4R before it kicked in.
You use ca and alk to get/adjust your levels. You then only dose A4R. You may need adjust alk or ca if levels drift.
In my 20g im at 32ml a day now. If alk level drops due to consumption you add more A4R.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some tank and coral pics. You might have an issue with flow. You might have a pest. Could be placement. Are you target feeding corals? You say it’s not your lighting. What lighting are you using ?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep pictures in white light will help members give you more advice on your situation

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some tank and coral pics. You might have an issue with flow. You might have a pest. Could be placement. Are you target feeding corals? You say it’s not your lighting. What lighting are you using ?
Don’t have any videos or pictures at the moment lol but I think the reefmat is pulling all the nutrients out of my tank. I don’t have much fish yet.

I’m running 3 XR15 in Redsea 350. I only target feed once a month .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back