After 6 years, still having problems. Desperately Need Help!

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think so? It would be nice to have the CUC not only make the tank cleaner, but eat away uneaten food and detritus to therefore reduce nutrients and make the coral thrive too. Almost seems too good to be true since nothing previously has really ever worked the way I thought it would lol.
somthing thats going to suprise you is how big the trochus snails get over time. But yeah CUC can make a big long term differance by not having the waste just sit their or going into the filter.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would have to agree the more fast changes you make the worse off your tank is. If you want to handle your Phosphate issue you could always use something like Phosguard or GFO into your filter media.
I've used GFO before, and man it was such a pain in the butt maintaining that, replacing it, rinsing, getting the tumble right, etc. Hated using it. That's why I went with the refugium with this tank to combat nutrients, but can't get any macroalgae to grow, go figure.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats your lighting at, what salt do you use when doing water changes. what do you dose normally into the tank wither its daily or weekly.
Whoa ...well...I'm kind of the antithesis amongst many here, however still believe in the basic parameters of reef keeping. My salt is Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, however, many others are just as good. My lighting is actually quite low for a 90 gallon, 2 T5's and a 54 watt Fluval LED , programability of Dusk/Dawn is the biggest thing with a slight bump to daytime. I don't dose, never have. Water changes 2-3% every 3-4 days keep my elements in check. If you want PM me, and I can send you some images....I'm not suggesting my methodology, but just saying it works for me....no skimmer, no fuge, no cannister, no sump.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think so? It would be nice to have the CUC not only make the tank cleaner, but eat away uneaten food and detritus to therefore reduce nutrients and make the coral thrive too. Almost seems too good to be true since nothing previously has really ever worked the way I thought it would lol.
Later down the road when your tank is stable to take on new fish i would advise you btw to get a Goby and pistol shrimp pair. Not only will it be amazing to watch but the pistol shrimp loves to move sand all day while the goby watches over the shrimp.

another good sand shifter are Jawfish *pearl/bluespotted*

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used GFO before, and man it was such a pain in the butt maintaining that, replacing it, rinsing, getting the tumble right, etc. Hated using it. That's why I went with the refugium with this tank to combat nutrients, but can't get any macroalgae to grow, go figure.
what light are you running on your cheato? is it getting enough tumble/flow? Sometimes and this can be risky depending on seller.. its better to buy a large clump thats already in a good stable condition to throw in. Risk is if the past owner has parasites then it can spread to your tank *Bristol worms.* while they are good CUC it various by person if they like them or not.

Me personally i hate bristol worms while they are super active at eating left over food im not fond of getting stinged and having a reaction to their stingers that get left in my hands..

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa ...well...I'm kind of the antithesis amongst many here, however still believe in the basic parameters of reef keeping. My salt is Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, however, many others are just as good. My lighting is actually quite low for a 90 gallon, 2 T5's and a 54 watt Fluval LED , programability of Dusk/Dawn is the biggest thing with a slight bump to daytime. I don't dose, never have. Water changes 2-3% every 3-4 days keep my elements in check. If you want PM me, and I can send you some images....I'm not suggesting my methodology, but just saying it works for me....no skimmer, no fuge, no cannister, no sump.
i dont run T5's due to the misses doesnt want it hanging over the tanks in the living room. instead im running all AI hydra's on mine the lighting various on tank as my large tank is more light hungry due to my condy thats living in it.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what light are you running on your cheato? is it getting enough tumble/flow? Sometimes and this can be risky depending on seller.. its better to buy a large clump thats already in a good stable condition to throw in. Risk is if the past owner has parasites then it can spread to your tank *Bristol worms.* while they are good CUC it various by person if they like them or not.

Me personally i hate bristol worms while they are super active at eating left over food im not fond of getting stinged and having a reaction to their stingers that get left in my hands..
This light:

I don't have any powerhead in there to move water, other than the water coming from the drain. I've read a lot of people here saying they have chaeto growing without any powerheads in the fuge, so I figured I'd be alright. I got the chaeto from algaebarn.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This light:

I don't have any powerhead in there to move water, other than the water coming from the drain. I've read a lot of people here saying they have chaeto growing without any powerheads in the fuge, so I figured I'd be alright. I got the chaeto from algaebarn.

its not coming through on my end for the light sadly

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think once you get your CUC your see a change over though in your tank. Only other thing i can say because i dont see it mentioned anywhere is to also make sure your using RODI water and tracking on the usage of the filters. Every tank has a crash after a year or 2 your just hitting yours.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think once you get your CUC your see a change over though in your tank. Only other thing i can say because i dont see it mentioned anywhere is to also make sure your using RODI water and tracking on the usage of the filters. Every tank has a crash after a year or 2 your just hitting yours.
Yep, using a brand new 5-stage BRS with 0 TDS output. So, I at least can confidently say we're good there lol.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id be using nopox at half the recommend amount on a dosing pump. Especially for the phosphate high phosphate will turn coral brown and lead to tissue necrosis imo even cause brown jelly disease. Idk how cheato dies but id give it a couple attempts you can even leave the light on 24/7 its pretty simple. Id also recommend giving a deep clean to the sand bed or removing it. Also filter socks are a big help or I used to put my drain right up to the skimmer intake and it worked out decently. Really seems like old tank syndrome, and I also struggle with coral either being stagnant for years or just growing to a doom. Seems like its either one or the other. I dont think a cleanup crew is really going to do much unless you get the right animals. Big Mexican turbo snails, sand shifting conch, sea hair could be used if its alot of hair algea. And a some tangs to keep everything in check ones your algae free. You might even benefit from a rip clean and just starting over however annoying it is. Hope some of this is helpful! Happy reefing.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id be using nopox at half the recommend amount on a dosing pump. Especially for the phosphate high phosphate will turn coral brown and lead to tissue necrosis imo even cause brown jelly disease. Idk how cheato dies but id give it a couple attempts you can even leave the light on 24/7 its pretty simple. Id also recommend giving a deep clean to the sand bed or removing it. Also filter socks are a big help or I used to put my drain right up to the skimmer intake and it worked out decently. Really seems like old tank syndrome, and I also struggle with coral either being stagnant for years or just growing to a doom. Seems like its either one or the other. I dont think a cleanup crew is really going to do much unless you get the right animals. Big Mexican turbo snails, sand shifting conch, sea hair could be used if its alot of hair algea. And a some tangs to keep everything in check ones your algae free. You might even benefit from a rip clean and just starting over however annoying it is. Hope some of this is helpful! Happy reefing.
Thanks for the suggestions. Sand bed is completely new from when I moved into the new house 4 months ago. Only thing I took from the old house/tank was all the rock and bio-blocks in the sump.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot in the dark… when was the last time you checked the magnets on your MP 40s? 6 year old pumps I would concerned with water intrusion.
I like it! The one MP40 is brand new, but the left one is actually original, so about 6 years ago. I haven't checked the magnets, don't really even know what I'd be looking for or what the complications would be with the tank if there was a problem with them.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per your request @Jmunk ....it's no great shakes here, but it's my slice after a bunch of years.... it grounds me now. I know my wheelhouse, and try my best to keep it this way. Yellow Tang, Ocellaris, and Three Stripe are all 18 years +. My corals are various age, I'm always looking to try something new, some succeed and some fail. My inverts are some well over 20 years.
20210805_192318.jpg

20210805_191859.jpg
20210805_191641.jpg
20210805_192307.jpg
20210805_194606-jpg.2287923
20210805_194622.jpg

Attachments

• 20210805_194606.jpg
    20210805_194606.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 257

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per your request @Jmunk ....it's no great shakes here, but it's my slice after a bunch of years.... it grounds me now. I know my wheelhouse, and try my best to keep it this way. Yellow Tang, Ocellaris, and Three Stripe are all 18 years +. My corals are various age, I'm always looking to try something new, some succeed and some fail. My inverts are some well over 20 years.
20210805_192318.jpg

20210805_191859.jpg
20210805_191641.jpg
20210805_192307.jpg
20210805_194606-jpg.2287923
20210805_194622.jpg
is your Nem just a single head? if so then its pretty big also nice Yellow tang sadly i never picked one up before the price jump hit them.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your Nem just a single head? if so then its pretty big also nice Yellow tang sadly i never picked one up before the price jump hit them.
Yep one head, never split. Long Tents don't , they only get bigger lol.....90 gallon, this one is begging me to go bigger....$$$$ let's keep bugging the wife . ;)

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02¢

I think the answer is simple and you already know it. Phosphates are high. Do consistent 10% weekly water changes or at least 20% bi weekly and re-tune your skimmer to collect more skimmate. I honestly think just those 2 things alone will solve your problem.

Best of luck

Back