Agressive Purple Tang

tonyc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 gallon cube tank and have had a 4-5 inch purple tang for about 11 months. I recently added a sailfin and mimic tang to the mix. At the recommendation of my LFS I put up a mirror to distract my purple tang when I added the other two tangs in the evening. By mid-morning the following day, the purple was still in "attack mode" and going after both of the other tangs. I have put him in a breeder box to make sure he doesn't kill the sailfin or the mimic. Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably what you are going to get here first is that there are too many tangs housed in a 90gal tank and part of the reason aggression will be a major issue. Anyway, I had a similar experience between a yellow tang and a purple tang. The way I was able to get them to get along was by dividing the tank using a light diffuser. That way they had to put with each other for a couple of days until they got used to each other. After that, once I removed the diffuser they became best friends.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 gallon cube tank and have had a 4-5 inch purple tang for about 11 months. I recently added a sailfin and mimic tang to the mix. At the recommendation of my LFS I put up a mirror to distract my purple tang when I added the other two tangs in the evening. By mid-morning the following day, the purple was still in "attack mode" and going after both of the other tangs. I have put him in a breeder box to make sure he doesn't kill the sailfin or the mimic. Any ideas on how I should proceed?
I think it would be because the tank size is not enough for 2. 90g cubes are 90g but would not be enough.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how 3 tangs would fit in a 90g cube. I tried two in a traditional 4 foot 80g but only kept one. It was clear that two in a 80 wasn't going to make any fish happy long-term.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my humble opinion non of those fish should be kept in that tank much less all of those fish. Generally the suggested methods to minimize aggression is the mirror trick and separation, which you've already done. The only other suggestion I have is to rearrange the rockwork if possible.
If that isn't an option or doesn't work your best bet may be to return a tang or two before the purple kills the others.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 90 gal tank, 3 tangs, 2 of which are Zebrasoma, is to small. I have 6 tangs in my 225 gal tank and see aggression.

The problem is that you added 2 tangs to a small tank that is owned by the Purple tang. Honestly, and I say this with the utmost respect, I would get rid of the Sailfin asap. It will quickly outgrow your tank. I have a D. Sailfin tang in my 225 gal tank and I will have to rehome it eventually. They grow up to a size of a dinner plate.

I planned my aquascape with tangs in mind, meaning, plenty of hiding spaces, but I still see aggression. I also added 4 of the tangs at one time to overwhelm the 2 tangs that called the tank their home.

In a 90 gal tank, I would go with a Bristletooth tang along with the Purple tang.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully disagree with the purple in that size tank also. Did you notice that it was a cube tank and not the standard 4' 90?
Sorry, I did not see that, BUT, we still have to be understanding. Ideally, I would like to see any tang in at least a 4ft tank, but, its not always possible for someone to have that size tank. BRS have Yellow tangs in all of their cubes that they experiment on. ;) :)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I did not see that, BUT, we still have to be understanding. Ideally, I would like to see any tang in at least a 4ft tank, but, its not always possible for someone to have that size tank. BRS have Yellow tangs in all of their cubes that they experiment on. ;) :)
Yes, but the purple tang is already a 5" fish, it isn't the tiny tang that you see BRS have in small tanks. They also easily have the ability to transfer it into a bigger tank, many hobbyists do not have that as a possibility.
Also, speaking generally (and I'm not in anyway trying to put down the OP) if someone doesn't have room for a tank to properly house a certain fish they shouldn't get that fish, not force the fish to live in a smaller tank because that's the biggest tank they have.
I love Desjardini sailfin tangs but I don't get one because I don't have a tank big enough.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but the purple tang is already a 5" fish, it isn't the tiny tang that you see BRS have in small tanks. They also easily have the ability to transfer it into a bigger tank, many hobbyists do not have that as a possibility.
Also, speaking generally (and I'm not in anyway trying to put down the OP) if someone doesn't have room for a tank to properly house a certain fish they shouldn't get that fish, not force the fish to live in a smaller tank because that's the biggest tank they have.
I love Desjardini sailfin tangs but I don't get one because I don't have a tank big enough.
Right now, lets try to help out this R2R member. :)

@tonyc123, you have been given some great info.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To many tangs in to small a tank and purple tangs of a certain size are aggressive and even more so against fish of similar color and/or shape.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to be the tang police but I hope you have plans for an upgrade in the near future - It doesn’t even have to be straight into a 8’ tank, it can be into a 6’ but eventually you will need that 8’ tank for the desjardini.
To sort aggression I would split the tank in half with something like egg crate for Atleast a month and then see if aggression mimimalises between the three. In my opinion, the mirror trick doesn’t work as efficiently as splitting the tank - Although, that doesn’t always work as planned either.

Also for everyone saying the tank is too small, the OP probably has a plan for the tangs when they get too big. And you can’t deny it, we have all done something like this at some point.

OP
OP
T

tonyc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably what you are going to get here first is that there are too many tangs housed in a 90gal tank and part of the reason aggression will be a major issue. Anyway, I had a similar experience between a yellow tang and a purple tang. The way I was able to get them to get along was by dividing the tank using a light diffuser. That way they had to put with each other for a couple of days until they got used to each other. After that, once I removed the diffuser they became best friends.
thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 90 gal tank, 3 tangs, 2 of which are Zebrasoma, is to small. I have 6 tangs in my 225 gal tank and see aggression.

The problem is that you added 2 tangs to a small tank that is owned by the Purple tang. Honestly, and I say this with the utmost respect, I would get rid of the Sailfin asap. It will quickly outgrow your tank. I have a D. Sailfin tang in my 225 gal tank and I will have to rehome it eventually. They grow up to a size of a dinner plate.

I planned my aquascape with tangs in mind, meaning, plenty of hiding spaces, but I still see aggression. I also added 4 of the tangs at one time to overwhelm the 2 tangs that called the tank their home.

In a 90 gal tank, I would go with a Bristletooth tang along with the Purple tang.
Not to hijack the post but I was planning on adding a purple tang to my tank . It is a 109 gallon 5ft long and only have a tomini tang right now for tangs in my tank. other fish foxface rabbit. 2 chromis . 1 clown. 1 wrasse. 1 coral beauty . They all get along right now with no issues

Thoughts ?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the post but I was planning on adding a purple tang to my tank . It is a 109 gallon 5ft long and only have a tomini tang right now for tangs in my tank. other fish foxface rabbit. 2 chromis . 1 clown. 1 wrasse. 1 coral beauty . They all get along right now with no issues

Thoughts ?
I feel you will be fine. I would go with a smaller Purple tang, maybe 2.5-3 in's and let it grow into the tank. It may get beat up on a little by the Tomini tang initially, BUT, it will find it's fins and grow up. ;)

The other fish are a none issue.

I currently have a Purple tang, Gem tang, D. Sailfin tang, Achilles tang, True Blonde Naso tang, and a Tomini tang in my 225 gal tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back