Ahhh the Black Bugs

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last night I found the reefers worst nightmare.... Black bugs. I have tossed the most infected acro out. Tonight I will do some heavy bayer dip. My question is does anyone know if these bugs will eat other coral? I have a ton of money wrapped up in scoly's and acans. Iv'e accepted the fact that I'm going to loose acro period but I may shed a tear if I loose some of my scoly or acans that are heavenly.

Here are some pics I took. Hopefully these can help other reefers Identify these pest and keep an eye out for them.

444.JPG
448.JPG
450.JPG
upload_2016-7-21_9-34-40.png

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure that is not AEFW?

Ya convinced that is AEFW.. Those are eggs in that other pic

Not 100% this is my very first pest to every deal with In my tank and Iv'e been in the hobby for over 2 years. To my eyes I'm convinced they are. They look just like the black bugs I've seen on FB post and move just like them to. I try and keep myself aware of all pest so I can identify them in my inspecting process and under my magnifying glass. I can no way say that I'm an expert on this. Iv'e done a good job keeping pest of my tanks until now.

I'll take any advice I can get. I tossed the most infected acro's which is all the pictures ones here lol.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it is infact black bugs, i had them all over a Torch coral. did the bayer dip in 16oz tank water and used 0.7 ml of bayer 15 mins, double rinse and back into the tank and haven't seen them since.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it is infact black bugs, i had them all over a Torch coral. did the bayer dip in 16oz tank water and used 0.7 ml of bayer 15 mins, double rinse and back into the tank and haven't seen them since.

Thank you for the information. I will start dipping. This will be my entire night tonight dip and rinse. I have a few torches in tank. Did you happen to notice them bothering the torch or maybe they were moving along your tank and you caught them on the torch at the time?

I only use Bayer for my dip. Hope it can do the job.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information. I will start dipping. This will be my entire night tonight dip and rinse. I have a few torches in tank. Did you happen to notice them bothering the torch or maybe they were moving along your tank and you caught them on the torch at the time?

I only use Bayer for my dip. Hope it can do the job.

my wife actually spotted them before i did. she peaked into the tank at night and spotted a worm, since then shes been hooked on staring at the tank in the dark looking for "weird critters"
at night when the torch was retracted/closed up she saw them. the only thing i noticed off the bat was that the torch wasn't opening fully, but my lighting was also too intense at the same time, so im not 100% sure

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, probably nothing we currently know kills eggs

Black bugs have been described as Copepods very similar to red bugs. Hmm, and they are usually much smaller than what you are showing.

And I don't remember where I read it, but I thought they were extremely difficult to kill

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is absolutely NOT aefw. It's the dreaded black bugs. Believe me. I just lost a battle with them. Fought them for 2.5 months. Do NOT take them lightly!

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is absolutely NOT aefw. It's the dreaded black bugs. Believe me. I just lost a battle with them. Fought them for 2.5 months. Do NOT take them lightly!

Ok I am confused. The black bugs I have seen on here on r2r were posted as similar to pin head like the red bugs?
Also in thread was no dipps are working on black bugs?

So are the black bugs non-uniform in body structure?

I am going to try to find that other thread

found this going to look for others
http://reef2reef.com/threads/setosa-bugs.252294/

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, probably nothing we currently know kills eggs

Black bugs have been described as Copepods very similar to red bugs. Hmm, and they are usually much smaller than what you are showing.

And I don't remember where I read it, but I thought they were extremely difficult to kill

They do like like pods when looking at them in person from the naked eye. MUCH DARKER!

Iv'e already started tossing out infected frags. I'm not playing around with this. I'll do what it takes to end them. Even if that means trashing coral. From what I have read online they are no joke I had a freind get infected a while back and he lost the battle and ended up tearing his whole tank down and starting over completely fresh.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back