AI Blades.. intensity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tdubs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tdubs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2025
Messages
65
Reaction score
57
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the PAR on these can be pretty high. I have 2 "Glow" and 1 "Grow" lights. Mostly LPS with a few SPS, Monti at the top of the scale. What intensity should I be going for.. I am afraid 60% will burn them up, maybe 40%?
f3fbfbb9-e0eb-4b0a-8783-bb9c6aaf38b7.jpg
 
Unfortunately. There is no set answers may want to rent a par meter. Depends on may factors like tank depth and rock height. Currently running my blades around 60% but they are also paired with g6s
 
That might help. It is a Biocube 32, using the standard mounts, so it only sits about an inch above the water, about 22" from the light to the sand. 12" Blades
 
I used to run a 12” Grow and a 12” Glow over my old 11 cube. I had them about 6-7” above the water running the Saxby schedule at full power. I had issues getting more than 225-250 par at the top of my rocks. I struggled with acros and montis. Stylos were fine though.
 
I guess it is time to get a PAR meter, or rent one... Observation, everything is looking good at the top, but not seeing a lot of growth anywhere, even down low, it's there but painstakingly slow
 
The coral look healthy so they are probably already getting the light they need. If you want to experiment then a par meter is a great way to dial things in.

I like to blast my coral with light personally. I have run both LPS and SPS dominant ranks with AI Blades (2 grow + 1 glow). I have a 24 in tall tank and never felt in danger of too much light on coral when running the Blades sometimes as high as 90% intensity. I have subsequently switched to ATI Straton X and those put out insanity level of par which makes it very challenging to position lower light loving coral. No such challenges with the Blades.
 
I run 2 Grow and 1 Glow over my 25g. They are mounted 8-9” above the water. These are my settings:

1782560359518.png



Zero problems with SPS. I held them in this tank for months and all grew considerably

IMG_2565.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new