AI Nero 3 - Garbage

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 12 vortech pumps (10’s,40’s and 60’s) and as much as I love how they work I have had to replace most of the wet sides in roughly a year which for the money whether you love them or not…got to admit thats not great is it? I strip them down fully, soak in citric acid, scrub and apply Molykote 111 when dried to lubricate and still things seem to get either mega noisy or the metal shaft begins to rust. He is a question for you vortech users actually. The white ceramic tube over the metal rod…is the ceramic tube meant to spin around the metal rod or is the propeller section meant to spin around the ceramic tube? To word more clearly is the ceramic tube meant to spin or remain static when the pump in in operation?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 12 vortech pumps (10’s,40’s and 60’s) and as much as I love how they work I have had to replace most of the wet sides in roughly a year which for the money whether you love them or not…got to admit thats not great is it?
That sounds expensive! I mean if you got the money to throw around, sure but for most reeders, I wouldn’t spend my hard earned money like that. I don’t even clean my Jebaos regularly. it’s being about 4-5 years already, only cleaned it once or twice if that because I had to reposition it so I was like what the heck, so I cleaned it. To me Jebao is like a Glock for those who knows about guns.

Jetfixr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 Nero 3's at the same time. They both stalled, and were noisy as hell. I was ticked. I sent them back an AI sent me replacements. All has been good since and I am happy. I am no fan boy, and would suggest that AI keep an eye on their QC. AI made things right.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 Nero 3's at the same time. They both stalled, and were noisy as hell. I was ticked. I sent them back an AI sent me replacements. All has been good since and I am happy. I am no fan boy, and would suggest that AI keep an eye on their QC. AI made things right.
Good for you and agree on the QC part. I mean, it’s a $220 pump and the propeller was looking like new with no obstructions. The power brick is fine and the controller lights up. I was told mostly the controller was over heating? If they sell a controller replacement for let say $75, I wouldn’t be thus disappointed but they wanted $145.

with that being said, if anyone had the controller, I would like to buy it or my propeller and the power brick is for sale.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of snail. I literally heard some noise and sure enough it was the mp40s wide opening and the trochus almost got shredded. I immediately shut it off, don’t think I am the only has this problem?
Probably not. I had one towards the bottom rear of my tank that I used to ensure no detritus build up and the clowns would always go from one side of the tank with sand in their mouth and swim to the other side where the Nero 3 was and sit at it. I have had them jam with special grade. LOL. But anything too much larger would be overkill for my AIO never mind the thing profile. I checked tank regularly so jamming wouldn’t go u priced longer than a few hours. It turns off eventually so at least they won’t appear to burn out. Maybe?

I use them for mixing and circulation in sump and mixing and reactor in my new build.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you and agree on the QC part. I mean, it’s a $220 pump and the propeller was looking like new with no obstructions. The power brick is fine and the controller lights up. I was told mostly the controller was over heating? If they sell a controller replacement for let say $75, I wouldn’t be thus disappointed but they wanted $145.

with that being said, if anyone had the controller, I would like to buy it or my propeller and the power brick is for sale.
It sounds like they should fix the overheating issue. IMO, overheating is never a good thing.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 12 vortech pumps (10’s,40’s and 60’s) and as much as I love how they work I have had to replace most of the wet sides in roughly a year which for the money whether you love them or not…got to admit thats not great is it? I strip them down fully, soak in citric acid, scrub and apply Molykote 111 when dried to lubricate and still things seem to get either mega noisy or the metal shaft begins to rust. He is a question for you vortech users actually. The white ceramic tube over the metal rod…is the ceramic tube meant to spin around the metal rod or is the propeller section meant to spin around the ceramic tube? To word more clearly is the ceramic tube meant to spin or remain static when the pump in in operation?
Didn't see any one comment on this....

The ceramic covering is supposed to be static on the shaft. The Propeller is supposed to spin on the ceramic, not the ceramic spin on the shaft.

I bought a nero 3 for some low slow flow over my sandbed, so it is very low in my tank. Other then having to take it out every few months to clean(it gets stuck for some reason, and stops spinning), it been working great.

I would like to buy another, if anyone had them in stock?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see any one comment on this....

The ceramic covering is supposed to be static on the shaft. The Propeller is supposed to spin on the ceramic, not the ceramic spin on the shaft.

I bought a nero 3 for some low slow flow over my sandbed, so it is very low in my tank. Other then having to take it out every few months to clean(it gets stuck for some reason, and stops spinning), it been working great.

I would like to buy another, if anyone had them in stock?
Thanks for confirming this for me buddy much appreciated. Makes sense. Any idea why some of these ceramic tubes do spin around the metal shaft?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds expensive! I mean if you got the money to throw around, sure but for most reeders, I wouldn’t spend my hard earned money like that. I don’t even clean my Jebaos regularly. it’s being about 4-5 years already, only cleaned it once or twice if that because I had to reposition it so I was like what the heck, so I cleaned it. To me Jebao is like a Glock for those who knows about guns.
I am very fortunate that we have an aquatic dept here at the garden centre.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for confirming this for me buddy much appreciated. Makes sense. Any idea why some of these ceramic tubes do spin around the metal shaft?
More then likely, it's broke right at the bottom where the shaft meets the housing. I have a couple mp10 wetsides that are like that.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More then likely, it's broke right at the bottom where the shaft meets the housing. I have a couple mp10 wetsides that are like that.
Apparently the ceramic shaft sleeve is super expensive to produce and is the single component that drives up the price of wet sides.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back