AI Nero 3 Problems

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a whole bunch of used and new equipment off my mate as he was upgrading tank size. I bought an MP10 (2 months old), 3 Nero 3s (bought within the last 6-10 months) and a few other parts. I collected them from his running tank yesterday and they spent a few hours in a citric Acid Bath, followed by scrubbing the wavemakers fully disassembled and rinsing and flushing in a bucket. They all connected to Mobius, but one of my Nero's is now displaying the flashing red led for stalling or blockage, and Mobius has sent me a ton of messages about a blockage. I have taken the pump apart and re cleaned it 5 times now and it's still got the red flashing light. The impellor will start spinning then just stop after 5 or so seconds. What's the problem with the pump? It was working perfectly in the acid bath and in my mates tank. Cheers for any help.

PrangeWay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What speed are you running it at? and what speed was your friend running it at?
I had a problem with one of my 3's stopping daily, in the end I just dropped the max speed in modes to 60% and it stopped locking up. I believe it just was building up too much heat and expanding enough to close that tiny gap between the housing and impeller.

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running them at random mode from 50-75%. I'll ask my mate but I'm pretty sure he was running them at around the same over a 4ft frag tank.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a whole bunch of used and new equipment off my mate as he was upgrading tank size. I bought an MP10 (2 months old), 3 Nero 3s (bought within the last 6-10 months) and a few other parts. I collected them from his running tank yesterday and they spent a few hours in a citric Acid Bath, followed by scrubbing the wavemakers fully disassembled and rinsing and flushing in a bucket. They all connected to Mobius, but one of my Nero's is now displaying the flashing red led for stalling or blockage, and Mobius has sent me a ton of messages about a blockage. I have taken the pump apart and re cleaned it 5 times now and it's still got the red flashing light. The impellor will start spinning then just stop after 5 or so seconds. What's the problem with the pump? It was working perfectly in the acid bath and in my mates tank. Cheers for any help.

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin Jackson any luck with this? My Nero 3 just started blinking red with no luck. I just started a citric acid bath, but nothing appears to be blocking the impeller - it moves freely manually.

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin Jackson any luck with this? My Nero 3 just started blinking red with no luck. I just started a citric acid bath, but nothing appears to be blocking the impeller - it moves freely manually.
Nevermind, I had to unplug it and reset it and it started back now. Gonna keep it running in the citric acid for a while though.

Orangutran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you resolved this? I have the same problem, after I turned it off for a water change it would not turn back on. Flashing red, even though it's clean and spinning freely.

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck with anything and I'm pretty sure the thing got lost in the post when I sent it off to AI.
Have you resolved this? I have the same problem, after I turned it off for a water change it would not turn back on. Flashing red, even though it's clean and spinning freely.

Orangutran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck with anything and I'm pretty sure the thing got lost in the post when I sent it off to AI.
Oh that sucks! Im about to ship mine to AI to fix. Hopefully it does not cost too much to fix.

What is your new replacement pump?

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with similar symptoms. The problem ended up being a piece that was lost during a cleaning. It is a piece that is not supposed to come apart from the motor unit. It is the little white bushing piece circled in red in the picture.

Attachments

• ai-nero-3-pump-review-5.JPEG
    ai-nero-3-pump-review-5.JPEG
    210 KB · Views: 276

Orangutran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with similar symptoms. The problem ended up being a piece that was lost during a cleaning. It is a piece that is not supposed to come apart from the motor unit. It is the little white bushing piece circled in red in the picture.
Oh thanks, I checked and that bushing piece is still there! Still a mystery...
Hope so to! For a replacement pump I bought a sicce and MP10.
I am debating if it's worth repairing the nero 3. I was going to get a nero 5 on the end of my tank, but now may just get one gyre instead... it's a shame, the nero is a nice little pump, just don't trust it. This is actually my second one that has failed...

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes ya just get a bad unit.. No? I get hesitancy to try again but lots of nero owners don't have any issues... Ecotechs are outrageously priced imo and for what.. So the cords on the outside not the inside? What's the difference lol

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes ya just get a bad unit.. No? I get hesitancy to try again but lots of nero owners don't have any issues... Ecotechs are outrageously priced imo and for what.. So the cords on the outside not the inside? What's the difference lol
Yeh I know, I got a second hand one that came with a brand new sicce for 1/2 - 3/4 of the usual price.

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI has sent me two replacement fans, keeping the original controllers. So far so good after about a week of use.

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the new Nero 3s locked up this morning. I think the issue has to do with some kind of calcium/alk precipitation.

I got a suspicion I am dosing WAY too much ESV 2-part. For my 65g tank, I am dosing 96ml calcium, and 140ml alk daily. My alk swings from 9.6-11.5.. I can't ever seem to keep it stable more than a week.

I have my LFS coming to do a consult tomorrow - anyone else got advice on the dosing issue? I'll probably make a new post under the chemistry board.

Back