Ai Prime 13HD settings for LPS/Softies

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank and recently got an AI Prime 13HD (not the new 16HD). I was wondering if anyone has recommended settings for it?
The light is sitting at ~13inches above the water surface. I'm trying it out today after replacing the stock light with it.
My tank is meant to host few LPS and mostly soft corals.

Thank you!

OP
OP
F

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is it worth keeping this light, or should I sell it (I saw it retails around ~$100 used) and stay with stock (which seemed to be doing fine thus far)?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Prime HD is a great light. I think they're better constructed than the newer 16HD anyway (thicker lenses, modular LED board, WiFi, etc).

I'd recommend putting the light about 10" above the water line to minimize light spill. Any of the more popular "schedules" (BRS AB+, Pirates, Saxby, etc) will grow coral better than the stock light, as long as you adjust the intensity for meet the needs of what you're growing. With LPS and softies, you won't have to turn it up very much, but it's hard to judge without a PAR meter.

The Evo is a pretty popular tank, though, so I'm sure somebody will chime in with some recommendations.

Consider this a bump, and an offer to buy the light if you decide you don't want it. I have a bunch of them now, but I'm always looking for clean HDs for a decent price for new tanks or to use as backups.

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and light. Mines a mixed reef tank with fish... lps,sps, softies.

I use the ab plus spectrum.

the ab plus spectrum maxes out the violet/uv/blue/royal blues, but im sure you wouldnt need to max them since you dont have high demanding corals. Also remember to accumulate the lights so you dont blast them full on from the beginning, your corals would have a heart attack.

In terms of red and green i turned them all the way down cause they can cause algae growth and is not needed.
You can play around with the white light to your liking. I keep mine at 16-18 if I wanted more blue and 23-25 if I wanted more white. But that's preference.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back