Ai prime 16hd over nuvo 20

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone (my first post!) I just bought an AI prime 16hd for the nuvo 20 (upgrading from orbit marine.. trust me I know). I've been on the lookout a schedule to use, however im finding myself hard pressed to find any scheduling. Was hoping someone would be able to give me some pointers on setting up mine, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

giphy 2.gif

Coral's zooxanthellae can use about 6 to 8 hours of full midday lighting to do photosynthesis. Longer hours are not harmful. Sunrise and sunset can be as long or short as you want. Zooxanthellae does not do photosynthesis under lower light levels. Moon light it totally optional.

IMHO, you want to lean toward a cooler white to even light blue at midday. The zooxanthellae uses mostly blue spectrum to do photosynthesis.

If your fixture has roughly equal white and blue leds, I'd suggest running the blue at 60% and the white at 20% to 30% at the start. Then you can bump them up some as time goes by. Before I got a PAR meter, I used to keep a small colony of red cap monti near the top of the tank. If light ever got too strong, this was likely the first coral that would bleach. You can also rent a PAR meter from BRS and others.

OP
OP
Saltysocks

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

giphy 2.gif

Coral's zooxanthellae can use about 6 to 8 hours of full midday lighting to do photosynthesis. Longer hours are not harmful. Sunrise and sunset can be as long or short as you want. Zooxanthellae does not do photosynthesis under lower light levels. Moon light it totally optional.

IMHO, you want to lean toward a cooler white to even light blue at midday. The zooxanthellae uses mostly blue spectrum to do photosynthesis.

If your fixture has roughly equal white and blue leds, I'd suggest running the blue at 60% and the white at 20% to 30% at the start. Then you can bump them up some as time goes by. Before I got a PAR meter, I used to keep a small colony of red cap monti near the top of the tank. If light ever got too strong, this was likely the first coral that would bleach. You can also rent a PAR meter from BRS and others.
Thanks for the reply! Im actually going to be using a seneye reef monitor as my par meter, so that way I can figure out what my par is going to be when the lights hit there peak for the day. Its an lps/zoa tank so I'm shooting for the 75/150 par range

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the BRS AB+ spectrum on mine(google BRS AI prime 16HD AB+ spectrum) . Light is on for 12 hours. Two hours ramp up/down, 8 at the AB+ full spectrum.
from memory:
UV 119%
violet 116%
blue 81%
royal blue 79%
red 4%
green 4%
white 19%

Last edited:

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you! What intensity % do you run the lights ask if you don't mind me asking
That's not adjustable on the Prime. You set each color to it's % of intensity. The AB+ spectrum uses about 32 watts of the lights 60 (just a side note). I'm at work-lights at home(3 of them-great lights). If it matters, I replaced my IC orbit PRO with 2 primes on my IM 20 pen. Sounds like we both learned something good.

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry I thought this was the Kessil 16o, why I do not know. I also have two AI Prime HD over my IM Lagoon 25, they have an acclimation app for it, I would use that. I love the coloring of the AI Prime HD

OP
OP
Saltysocks

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not adjustable on the Prime. You set each color to it's % of intensity. The AB+ spectrum uses about 32 watts of the lights 60 (just a side note). I'm at work-lights at home(3 of them-great lights). If it matters, I replaced my IC orbit PRO with 2 primes on my IM 20 pen. Sounds like we both learned something good.
Yeah sorry I misspoke i meant
Sorry about that it misspoke I meant the colors % themselves which I see in your previous comment (super helpful thank you) and small world lol! People told me not to get orbit marine. I didn't listen. 80 bucks for a light?! What a steal?! Right?! No... lol. I am going to try to run 1 prime 16hd over my nuvo fusion. I know there might be some shading but overall I'm not to worried considering its mostly zoa/lps.. think it'll work out. Par meter will tell all though. Anxiously awaiting FedEx! Lol

OP
OP
Saltysocks

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry I thought this was the Kessil 16o, why I do not know. I also have two AI Prime HD over my IM Lagoon 25, they have an acclimation app for it, I would use that. I love the coloring of the AI Prime HD
I had it on just to yesterday cause I'm waiting for the par meter so I can set it up the par then go into acclimation mode. I love the colors alot.. those sliders are dangerous lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back