AIO vs. Sump setups vs. Budget

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I run a 340 gallon mixed reef system and would like to have around a 40-45 gallon nano tank in my home office.

I was hoping for a budget for $2k or less for tank, stand, and lights, filtration. Pretty much everything but livestock. I've looked at a lot of AIOs and they're all in the price range without any equipment. I spent about that for my custom 340 gallon and steel stand. I don't understand why the nanos are the same cost as my 340 gallon display?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I run a 340 gallon mixed reef system and would like to have around a 40-45 gallon nano tank in my home office.

I was hoping for a budget for $2k or less for tank, stand, and lights, filtration. Pretty much everything but livestock. I've looked at a lot of AIOs and they're all in the price range without any equipment. I spent about that for my custom 340 gallon and steel stand. I don't understand why the nanos are the same cost as my 340 gallon display?
They set high margins for products that more people will buy. The greed has really gotten out of control in this hobby.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They set high margins for products that more people will buy. The greed has really gotten out of control in this hobby.
Unfortunately I think you're right. I guess I just wanted validation that I'm not the only one that thinks these aquarium setups are ridiculously priced. Especially when you can get the 40 gallon breeders from Petco for $40. And maybe $150 for the Drop in sump panel. $200vs. $1000 for the same thing from a name brand.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I would call a 40gal a nano. I guess compared to your 300 it is lol.

why not get two 40 breeders, one display and one for sump.

two ocean revive or other cheap light. Couple Nero 3. Then small skimmer and dc pump. Should be able to do that for 1k to 1.5

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the 40 gallon all in ones from the big companies like live aquaria and brs are around 400-500 I'm pretty sure. You could still get this to fit into your 2k budget, but you could also try ordering something cheaper off ebay

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I think you're right. I guess I just wanted validation that I'm not the only one that thinks these aquarium setups are ridiculously priced. Especially when you can get the 40 gallon breeders from Petco for $40. And maybe $150 for the Drop in sump panel. $200vs. $1000 for the same thing from a name brand.
I had great fun building a tank with materials I bought from Glass Cages. They cut everything to specifications and I put it together. The ready made tanks they sell are not a bad deal either.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
L

If you want something nicer then a 40b. Look for used set up. Cheapest way to get something nice.
This is really a great idea. There are some very nice AIO set ups and people are always looking to move them. Unless you're in a hurry, I think this is a winning option. You get a better deal, you get to help out another reefer who is looking to upgrade or move on, and you keep another tank from ending up in a landfill/ a new tank from having to be shipped across the country/world.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really a great idea. There are some very nice AIO set ups and people are always looking to move them. Unless you're in a hurry, I think this is a winning option. You get a better deal, you get to help out another reefer who is looking to upgrade or move on, and you keep another tank from ending up in a landfill/ a new tank from having to be shipped across the country/world.
No hurry here. I agree. I've been keeping my eye out. I may need to get in touch with clubs too. The closest active one is 300 miles away. Not a terrible drive. But, yeah agree this may be best.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hurry here. I agree. I've been keeping my eye out. I may need to get in touch with clubs too. The closest active one is 300 miles away. Not a terrible drive. But, yeah agree this may be best.
I forget how spoiled I am to have a local reef club!

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Fiji Cube. They have a 38 gallon AIO peninsula which is pretty cheap. I think reef octopus has a kit as well that would fall under budget without lights. It’s always cheaper to put something together yourself than to have a kit

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget how spoiled I am to have a local reef club!
There used to be one here but it was all on one person to coordinate and people said they'd help and didn't follow through. So, it's really hard to have an active club if there's only one person to make things happen. I helped and participated at the time, but then I had to leave the hobby for 3-4 years and when I got back to it, the club was no longer operational.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily get an used system for $500. IM tanks are cheap if you don't need a stand.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 all in ones. My cheapest was around 1,700. IM 30L Tank, Stand 1 xr15 g5, skimmer,heater,ATO setup,substrate etc.. My latest SR 80 was around 3k full setup. Sometimes used is the way to go but you never know what you are really getting unless they are someone you know and trust.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can definatly get a 40 gal setup for less than 1k$ if you hunt for a bit. My 10gal nano cube was setup for less than 150$ including rocks and lights etc. 200$ if you include the corals and my yellow tail damsel and CUC

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back