Aiptasia or another anemone?

JasonCrimmel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank setup for almost 8 months now. Live rock came from Tampa Bay Saltwater back in September 2020. These guys have been around for a while and at first we were happy to have some anemones, but the more research I do I start to think they are Aiptasia... but really large ones! I might be wrong and they are something else, so I'm turning to those with some more experience. The clowns couldn't care less about them and they stay in the same holes in the rockwork for the most part. They are very tolerant and obviously seem to be doing very well. In the 8 months the rockwork has been in the tank they have grown from unnoticeable to what you see here. There are currently 3 about this same size and maybe 1 or 2 very small ones. Help me! What type of anemones are these?

20210409_140629.jpg 20210409_140635.jpg 20210409_140707.jpg 20210409_140744.jpg 20210409_141940.jpg 20210409_141943.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,large aip ? @Eagle_Steve ?
Looks very much like a Bunodactis stelloides. Also sometimes called a grey sea anemone.

I would need to see a better pic of the mouth.

If it is, they feed mostly on small crabs and are basically harmless.

It could also be a Anemonia viridis. Also called a snakelocks anemone. They are not typical to the gulf and Atlantic of Florida, but have started to be regularly seen there. I have actually collected a few near west palm beach.

For the snakelocks, it does need to be noted that it could not be that exact species. There is one found in the Mediterranean that is almost the same, but a different scientific name.

I am leaning more towards a grey sea nem, as they care common in the gulf and rock harvested in August to November stands a better chance of having one on it. Also, from what I can see of the mouth, it looks exactly like specimens I have collected in the past.

Another trick to tell between the 2 is does the nem fluoresce under blues. Grey sea nems are non photosynthetic and only show a little color if any. Snakelocks will have a green to yellow hue under blues, as they do use photosynthesis.

I can say though, it is not an aiptaisa. There are types of aiptasia (huge family) in the gulf, but they are not like your typical ones and are typical found in mats around docks and such.

OP
OP
JasonCrimmel

JasonCrimmel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the help. This is the best I can get right now... they are at just they right angle I have to grab pictures through the length of the tank. I'll try to grab some better ones in a bit.

No response on any of the nems under the blue lights, or a UV flashlight.

Attachments

• 20210409_160023.jpg
    20210409_160023.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210409_160129.jpg
    20210409_160129.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210409_160208.jpg
    20210409_160208.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 67

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the help. This is the best I can get right now... they are at just they right angle I have to grab pictures through the length of the tank. I'll try to grab some better ones in a bit.

No response on any of the nems under the blue lights, or a UV flashlight.
That looks like a grey and not a snakelocks.

Now for the issue with Greys. They do reproduce fast, not plague fast, but fast.

Luckily they only reproduce by budding. No spores to worry about like aiptasia.

Easist way to remove is to place a piece of pipe over them and block flow. They will crawl up the pipe. When they do, you can remove them.

As much as I love all nems. Even have an aiptaisa and majano tank lol. They are harmless to most fish, but will seriously annoy corals.

If you plan to have corals, it is best to remove them. The great thing is, you could setup a species specific tank for them if you like them and it is super cheap and easy. A small 5 gallon petco special with an internal filter and a crap built in led is all they need. Add a little sand, couple of small rocks and top off the water every so often.

Being as they are a tidal species, they handle all temps and have no issue with some salinity swings.

They also can just be fed a little bit of mysis from time to time. Just do it directly in their tents and no waste.

Just as an example, I have had these warty sea nems in a tub with a crap job filter for a week with a couple of pieces of rock and they are doing great.

Tidal nems are the easiest to keep and the most forgiving.

Either way, if keep, awesome. If not, no worries. They will not work well in a reef tank, so just remember that.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for reference if any more pop up.

Grey nems have multiple rows of tents going around the disk in no specific order

Aiptaisa only have 2 rows of tents and they are offset.

here is a aiptasia. You can see the difference from yours to it. The mouth is also a dead give away, as well. Yours has a mouth that can consume a crab with ease. Aiptaisa do not.

088E82EF-3E4D-4F3E-B8A1-EFF4086737E4.jpeg

Topgun128p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a large Aiptasia I would remove it before it spreads.. wouldn’t take a chance

OP
OP
JasonCrimmel

JasonCrimmel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a grey and not a snakelocks.

Now for the issue with Greys. They do reproduce fast, not plague fast, but fast.

Luckily they only reproduce by budding. No spores to worry about like aiptasia.

Easist way to remove is to place a piece of pipe over them and block flow. They will crawl up the pipe. When they do, you can remove them.

As much as I love all nems. Even have an aiptaisa and majano tank lol. They are harmless to most fish, but will seriously annoy corals.

If you plan to have corals, it is best to remove them. The great thing is, you could setup a species specific tank for them if you like them and it is super cheap and easy. A small 5 gallon petco special with an internal filter and a crap built in led is all they need. Add a little sand, couple of small rocks and top off the water every so often.

Being as they are a tidal species, they handle all temps and have no issue with some salinity swings.

They also can just be fed a little bit of mysis from time to time. Just do it directly in their tents and no waste.

Just as an example, I have had these warty sea nems in a tub with a crap job filter for a week with a couple of pieces of rock and they are doing great.

Tidal nems are the easiest to keep and the most forgiving.

Either way, if keep, awesome. If not, no worries. They will not work well in a reef tank, so just remember that.
Fantastic info! Thank you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back