Aiptasia updates

lilkiwi930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again everybody :)

I have had a aiptasia outbreak for the most couple months. I have been treating it with Aiptasia X and it still seems to keep coming back. Then I had to take a break with the maintaining the tank since I work in the hospital during the months it was crazy. So I am back to treating them. This time I am more strict and eyeful anytime I see one I make sure I get it. I made a TikTok video (yes I said Tiktok lol) of killing the nasty little buggers that I thought you would enjoy. I did another dose of Aiptasia X yesterday and literally lifted every rock. Im hoping I got the last of them. Hope you enjoy the video. :p

(Heres an after picture from yesterday. Hard to see with the blue lights.)
Tank after.jpg

(This video was taken 2 weeks ago)

Attachments

• Tank Video.mp4
    21 MB

bpapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will always have outbreaks with the treatments the Peppermint Shrimp - Lysmata Boggessi do work but make sure they are the aiptasia eating ones.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I have a permagrounded, sump living, edible size cleaner shrimp that eats them! His name is Razor! He’s a MASSIVE JERK!!! Lol. I wish I could move him back up to the display to keep the Aiptasia at bay as he has for well over a year, but he relentlessly chases and exhausts my fish before attacking them. He will steal food from deep in the mouths my coral and injure them. And it doesn’t matter how much I feed him directly as soon as coral food hits the tank he goes to work plucking my corals. Any way, I’m gonna go the berghia route I think, I’ve never had luck with Aiptasia X and getting peppermints to actually eat it without starving the tank is like pulling teeth and not exactly an option unfortunately.

bpapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck with peppermint shrimp -Lysmata Boggessi , I bought from marine depot which is actually from algae barn . I bought 3 and they did arrive live and were very small but 3 months later I do not have aiptasia issue . I only see 2 aiptasia 's out of the 100 I had . I have 110 gallon tank . I never really see the shrimp. I have bought peppermint shrimp from the LFS and they did not work .

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow that's a lot of aiptasia + chemical to kill the aiptasia. I'm not a fan of getting a critter to solve a temporary problem but in this case I would probably go that route. I'd also probably just scrap the sand bed and start fresh or at least pull it out, clean it and let it dry fully.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%

Back