OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nuking from orbit is the guaranteed approach. However, for that size of tank I would try to get 3-4 berghias and see how they fare. They usually wipe them out but sometimes aiptasis come back after a few months (2-4 months is what I saw most frequently, mine haven’t made a comeback yet.) If the nudis are a good size they will clean that tank in a month or so.
can you tell me where you got the berghias??

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing ‘bristle worms ate my berghia’ but I am skeptical. I farm Berghia and intentionally have bristle worms in my grow outs as they are free, effective, hardy cleanup crew. Maybe there are different bristleworm species with different behavior, but in my experience bristleworms do not harm Berghia or their eggs.
maybe im wrong, however the berghia have disappeared and the aiptasia have gotten worse

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If chemical treatment, Nudis, peppermint shrimp haven't worked and special Aptasia eating fish are a concern I'd bite the bullet and buy a Majano Wand. Many reefers don't want to spend the $160 but if it works Zap Away!!!
Amazon and many reef sites have them.

1691777155651.png
1691777200724.png

do they actually work, ive not purchased one solely because ive read several times that they're dangerous

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a copperband butterfly that took care of every single one, but then I had a mishap with the power on my tank and I lost my fish. My aiptasia came back because I didn’t have my copperband so I put around 20 Berghia in my 110 gallon tank and that took care of them. Unfortunately the berghia died without having anything to eat. I have aiptasia now so I was going to get a couple peppermint shrimp which have worked for me in the past. If that doesn’t work then I’ll go to a filefish. Aiptasia are always going to be a potential problem so I would recommend finding a natural way to get rid of them like the peppermint shrimp.
thank you I appreciate it, all my peppermint shrimp have disappeared as well they usually get eaten by crabs while they're molting and it's sad. also my berghias I assume got eaten by something else. My tanks that have the aiptasia are too small for butterflies and filefish unfortunately. however I probably will buy some more berghias.

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bristle worms dont eat live berghia, but in my experience if you have a bunch they will "stick spines" into the nudis which seems to prevent them from reproducing well.
I do unfortunately have a bunch, I read before I got them that bristle worms will attack them to defend their nests

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up a picture of a true peppermint shrimp . Their are look alike that don’t touch aiptasia. I made that mistake years ago but since I found the distinction I haven’t seen aiptasia
okay thank you so much

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were local, I’d offer to trade clean rocks for your aiptasia rocks.

Eventually looking to add a Copperband to my system and have considered sourcing aiptasia to kickstart it feeding in my tank (willing to take the risk).
bahaha I wish! you're very brave for wanting to take the risk though for sure

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not allowed to get Nudies in Australia so they weren’t an option for me. Aiptasia-X (plus equivalents) allowed me to win battles - but I never won the war long term. Peppermint shrimp didn’t work either. LFS suggested “Australian Stripey” fish - which I tried out of desperation. I’m not claiming mine is a miracle worker - but i am saying that a couple of days after he went in my Aiptasia problem vanished. Close to a year later - no evidence they’re ever coming back. May not work for everyone - but worked for me…..
is it actually called an Australian stripey fish? haha

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my large tank I had a copperband butterfly. Now I only have a 15 g. My ORA filefish ate every last one. Then I added some amphipods which introduced little Aiptasia. He ate them all. I’ll never go without one. And they are amusing to watch to boot.
you have one in a 15 gal?

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried everything you mention then I got a Copperband butterfly and I haven't had an Aiptasia since. The Copperband isn't a very big fish, at least mine isn't.
I just have 4 staghorn damsels in a 20 gal where the aiptasia is super bad so I cant add a new fish unfortunately because idk what id do with my damsels for the mean time.

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor bristlworms. Always getting a bad rap but

“britstlewom ate my nudibranch” is a new one.”

next thing i’ll be hearing is “bristleworms ruined my marriage and took a loan under my name”
They might do that too

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do they actually work, ive not purchased one solely because ive read several times that they're dangerous
Haven't use one myself. Seeing all the post/options this was not mentioned so I thought I'd add it to the arsenal.
I trying 2 diff. chemical versions over 6 months and it was on my list to try when I saw a sign at my LFS "Aptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimp". They guy had a special tank with Aptasia in it to make sure they were eating them. So I got three and tank was clean in a week. Haven't seen any since.

FishFilet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is there are a number of peppermint shrimp who do not touch Aiptasia. These two eat Aiptasia and pics are from Biota.
IMG_0455.jpeg
IMG_0456.jpeg

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought at the time (3 months ago ) Wild caught peppermint shrimp - Lysmata Wurdemanni ONLY..! Wild caught! from SaltwaterAquarium.com. I studied for three wekks what to do... I was syringing white vinegar daily and I could NOT keep up, no way. They where hiding everywhere in my tank - lots of live rock- lots..! 280 gallon system 120 and a 90 with a huge 100 gallon sump (more than half full). Added (5) in the 120 main tank and (2) in 90, and 3 in sump... Done deal 1000% they all - everyone of them of any size was gone completely! Like in zero left in 2 days maybe 3 days total. WILD CAUGHT is the secret..! I do believe that now as I saw it happen in my tanks, and they where infested to the max... No names where I got these from.. But I will never ever get anything from them again.. jerks, man I was ticked off. 27 year old tanks - never a crash or disease of any kind ever... 250 plus lbs true live rock like you can not get any more ever..! A true Fact Jack... Now I really love my new little buddies... I now have them all trained as well, I can pet them and they roll over.. !

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought at the time (3 months ago ) Wild caught peppermint shrimp - Lysmata Wurdemanni ONLY..! Wild caught! from SaltwaterAquarium.com. I studied for three wekks what to do... I was syringing white vinegar daily and I could NOT keep up, no way. They where hiding everywhere in my tank - lots of live rock- lots..! 280 gallon system 120 and a 90 with a huge 100 gallon sump (more than half full). Added (5) in the 120 main tank and (2) in 90, and 3 in sump... Done deal 1000% they all - everyone of them of any size was gone completely! Like in zero left in 2 days maybe 3 days total. WILD CAUGHT is the secret..! I do believe that now as I saw it happen in my tanks, and they where infested to the max... No names where I got these from.. But I will never ever get anything from them again.. jerks, man I was ticked off. 27 year old tanks - never a crash or disease of any kind ever... 250 plus lbs true live rock like you can not get any more ever..! A true Fact Jack... Now I really love my new little buddies... I now have them all trained as well, I can pet them and they roll over.. !
Very interesting suggestion, people seem to have mixed results with Aiptasia and peppermint shrimp (as with all the Aiptasia remedies). Maybe wild caught peppermint shrimp, assuming they come from the right area, are already used to eating Aiptasia instead of having been spoiled by prepared foods all of their lives.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jump998 .. Wild Caught is the secret. I shopped EVERYWHERE messaging, calling, texting... Lots of my own homework done here on all remedies Aiptasia. Talked about most of the facilities across the US that had them for sale.. Lot's of home work..! even more. Simple fix very easy, costly huh, not really. Just turned 28 year old "Solid" none stop reef system of 280 gallons. Saltwater Aquarium both call them and order some.. They got here extremely fast but where advertised as "Adult Size" and I did get some smaller ones. They will grow.. As for the BerghiasI am not a fan at all after doing all my home work. Getting eaten, never see much, starving, COST of, and the amount of time for clearing the tanks out (very slow movement). Wild caught peppermint shrimp - Lysmata Wurdemanni ONLY, worked out of this world fast and extremely very efficient! They are right to the the point, done deal babe. Easiest saltwater fix ever, now cyano good luck...reef snow is the way as well lol. Get some of these, do some homework if you like, then stop beating around the bush and get some asap they will take care of your problem guys and gals and they are so super cool in the ole tanks..!
Good luck to all fellow reefers...

Update: They where very shy at first I took a 2ft-8inch and half chunk of hard tubing, heated and bent a 3 inch piece over and then I shove the end into crustation food like Hikari Crab Cuisine. Dunk it straight down in the tank and the food go's right straight to the surface. In about 1 minute it gets water logged and slowly drops down to the end of the tube and into the tank. I can control where any type of pellet's are placed to the tee. Food control and spot feeding about anything! I can drop food in and around the rock work where needed. I put a syringe on the end via rubber fitting I made and I can spot feed flowers, zoa's, about anything I want to so easy. Way better than any bulb type turkey baster ever! MY HANDS REMAIN DRY ALWAYS ...!! Warning all my crabs and all my shrimp's, do follow just the tube end, like in hanging on to it for dear life... lol Try this...

Last edited:

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jump998 .. Wild Caught is the secret. I shopped EVERYWHERE messaging, calling, texting... Lots of my own homework done here on all remedies Aiptasia. Talked about most of the facilities across the US that had them for sale.. Lot's of home work..! even more. Simple fix very easy, costly huh, not really. Just turned 28 year old "Solid" none stop reef system of 280 gallons. Saltwater Aquarium both call them and order some.. They got here extremely fast but where advertised as "Adult Size" and I did get some smaller ones. They will grow.. As for the BerghiasI am not a fan at all after doing all my home work. Getting eaten, never see much, starving, COST of, and the amount of time for clearing the tanks out (very slow movement). Wild caught peppermint shrimp - Lysmata Wurdemanni ONLY, worked out of this world fast and extremely very efficient! They are right to the the point, done deal babe. Easiest saltwater fix ever, now cyano good luck...reef snow is the way as well lol. Get some of these, do some homework if you like, then stop beating around the bush and get some asap they will take care of your problem guys and gals and they are so super cool in the ole tanks..!
Would you know a reputable source where I can buy?

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SaltwaterAquarium.com Call them first...This is a must!!! With ANY saltwater retailer talk to them first- I always do..! I have wholesaled for years myself. I haven't in 8 years now. But ask them point blank are they are: Wild caught peppermint shrimp - Lysmata Wurdemanni ONLY..! This is a must...! other wise a lot of them will just send you tank raised shrimp. You want WILD CAUGHT... You will be fine and your problems, everyone of them will be gone in DAYS... Good luck and keep me posted.. :):)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back