Aiptasia

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been dealing with aiptasia for months on end, I'd say around 7 months. I first used the Red Sea aiptasia x, as I was advised to do so by my local fish shop (who coincidentally introduced this into my tanks!) it didn't work, they all spread, they got huge, they reproduced and now that entire 20 gallon is taken over by aiptasia. Since then I have tried nudibranchs, they got eaten by bristle worms (that also were introduced via my local fish shops corals which I dip every time so im very unsure of how all of this happened in the first place) f aiptasia, about 20 peppermint shrimp over time because they kept getting eaten, boiling water, and about twice a week now for a month ive been going in with kalkwasser paste and injecting them with it, to no avail. Now my 13.5 gallon is also covered in aiptasia. I call aquarium maintenance places to see if they can help, they tell me to get peppermint shrimp, nudibranchs, copper banded butterflies, or file fish to eat them. I explain I have done nudibranchs and peppermints and that I have nano tanks so no copper bands or filefish can go in them, and then they say there is nothing they can do for me. I am losing all my hope, this is seriously messing with my mental as I truly do value my fish tanks. However im seeing no end in sight to this mess. I cant keep dealing with this it feels like insanity.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a similar boat. I have been debating restarting my tank very carefully.

No luck with the same methods - have not tried shrimp due to concern about my LPS. In your size tank it may be easy enough to rip everything out and get new rock. I have been having a hard time figuring out how to get it out of my plumbing and sump without bleaching everything in-between transfers

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia eating file fish took care of mine for me! I have some in the overflow, but as long as they aren't messing with anything in my tank, I don't mess with them, they aren't hurting anything.

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a similar boat. I have been debating restarting my tank very carefully.

No luck with the same methods - have not tried shrimp due to concern about my LPS. In your size tank it may be easy enough to rip everything out and get new rock. I have been having a hard time figuring out how to get it out of my plumbing and sump without bleaching everything in-between transfers
It is all over my coral all in my sand all in the equipment, I feel like if I do restart, it won't matter because it is in all of the mechanical filtration.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely easier IMM with 20g to start some new rock in a garbage can and then restart from dried mechanical

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia eating file fish took care of mine for me! I have some in the overflow, but as long as they aren't messing with anything in my tank, I don't mess with them, they aren't hurting anything.
I have nano tanks I cant have a filefish.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hoping Biota would drop their next batch. It has been quite some time out of stock

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive been dealing with aiptasia for months on end, I'd say around 7 months. I first used the Red Sea aiptasia x, as I was advised to do so by my local fish shop (who coincidentally introduced this into my tanks!) it didn't work, they all spread, they got huge, they reproduced and now that entire 20 gallon is taken over by aiptasia. Since then I have tried nudibranchs, they got eaten by bristle worms (that also were introduced via my local fish shops corals which I dip every time so im very unsure of how all of this happened in the first place) f aiptasia, about 20 peppermint shrimp over time because they kept getting eaten, boiling water, and about twice a week now for a month ive been going in with kalkwasser paste and injecting them with it, to no avail. Now my 13.5 gallon is also covered in aiptasia. I call aquarium maintenance places to see if they can help, they tell me to get peppermint shrimp, nudibranchs, copper banded butterflies, or file fish to eat them. I explain I have done nudibranchs and peppermints and that I have nano tanks so no copper bands or filefish can go in them, and then they say there is nothing they can do for me. I am losing all my hope, this is seriously messing with my mental as I truly do value my fish tanks. However im seeing no end in sight to this mess. I cant keep dealing with this it feels like insanity.
For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my corals are all over my rock work though in the 20
Aptasia X did work for me, but….
I used 1/8th inch ridged air line tube on a 10ml syringe + some 2-part expoxy or reef gum.
With water flow off, 1 hour, I put a big ball in the middle, and a circle around the blob.
Once a week, every week.
Took about 6 months.

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png
I have only nano tanks that have aiptasia. they are 20 gallons and 13.5. this fish is too big unfortunately.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1669774874713.png
Is there any restrictions on tank size?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're 13.5 gal and 20 gal tanks so yes
Too bad, I’ve never tried that fish.

Aptasia gets to a point, if not managed, where the only possible way is to restart from dry.

I’d think that the majority of reefers have some Aptasia, it’s hard not to run into them over the long term.

I’ve just added to weekly maintenance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is there any restrictions on tank size?
No, theyre small- mine 3 years and only a tad over 3"
Both tanks are 24" and obviously you want to buy a typical 2.5" size that they are at when at an LFS

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I go to the local fish store, I buy a peppermint shrimp. Haven’t seen aptasia in years.
ive purchased soooo many and they've all been eaten, maybe in my 13.5 I can try them because there are no fish

OP
OP
N

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad, I’ve never tried that fish.

Aptasia gets to a point, if not managed, where the only possible way is to restart from dry.

I’d think that the majority of reefers have some Aptasia, it’s hard not to run into them over the long term.

I’ve just added to weekly maintenance.
what is your maintenance routine?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me the steps you used with the berghia and how many did you buy.
I really don't believe worms eat nudies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other.

Back