Aiptasia !!!!!!!!

Hardesty8422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently battling a large aiptasia outbreak. I have 4 peppermint shrimp and also have been using aiptasia x and neither seem to be helping. I was thinking about taking the rock out 1 by 1 and boiling and replacing into the tank but unsure how everything would be affected also heard that superglue and burning them is effective. Any help would be appreciated.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? How many Aiptasia? Boiling the rock is going to kill all the beneficial bacteria as well and might kick off a mini cycle in the tank. I'm a strong believer in Berghia Nudibranch (I breed them).

Edit: Have any pics?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't boil your rocks, that's a bad idea. They will just grow back when you put the rock back. try a nudibranch.

OP
OP
H

Hardesty8422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? How many Aiptasia? Boiling the rock is going to kill all the beneficial bacteria as well and might kick off a mini cycle in the tank. I'm a strong believer in Berghia Nudibranch (I breed them).

Tank is a 40b and from what I have read they will eat a large portion of the aiptasia and will die before they have it all ate and they will grow again is this true ?

OP
OP
H

Hardesty8422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

received_296178831897896.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just washed one off a rock with coral attached using 3% hydrogen peroxide. I poured a little on, scraping the rock with a lab spoon, rinsed the area in more peroxide and then Rodi and put it back in the tank. Works great

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 40b and from what I have read they will eat a large portion of the aiptasia and will die before they have it all ate and they will grow again is this true ?
The nudibranch will eat the entire aiptasia. They'll wander off when they get full and mate and lay eggs under a rock somewhere and come hunting for more when they get hungry. I keep aiptasia in their own tank and it got contaminated with berghia eggs somehow. 3 nudibranch decimated the aiptasia supply in 3 days before I noticed it was happening. The nudibranch will continue living as long as they have ample food and decent water quality. I would start with 4-5 adults in your tank. Turn off the pumps and gently put them NEAR the aiptasia using a turkey baster or large pipette. Do not put them ON the aiptasia.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the multifaceted approach.
6 berghia....which I never seen again
2 sticks of epoxy.....which I pulled off after two weeks
1 large bottle of Aptasia-x

It took 6 months.
Have not seen one in 4 months.
Looking like I won....fingers crossed.......be ruthless....

Worst pest I’ve encountered.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one 100% solution. Berghia nudi’s. Put 10 in there and in a few weeks or so it’ll be cleared.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably never gonna get rid of every single one, but some in the tank is not that big of a deal imo. The nudis seem to work really well but if you have a wrasse or another fish like it, it will eat them all before they can make any kind of dent in the Aiptasia. Aiptasia eating file fish will eat them up but now your adding a fish, potentially causing some quarrels with the new fish. If you get the correct peppermint shrimpd they will also eat the Aiptasia but like nudis any fish that can eat them will. I dont have either of those options so every month or so I dose them with Aiptasia x which works really well for me and keeps them in check. I would definitely not pull any live rocks with Aiptasia on them and nuke the rocks just to try and eradicate the Aiptasia as it will kill all the good things in/on the rocks which would probably cause problems in your system. Good luck and don't sweat Aiptasia's in your tank.

OP
OP
H

Hardesty8422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nudibranch will eat the entire aiptasia. They'll wander off when they get full and mate and lay eggs under a rock somewhere and come hunting for more when they get hungry. I keep aiptasia in their own tank and it got contaminated with berghia eggs somehow. 3 nudibranch decimated the aiptasia supply in 3 days before I noticed it was happening. The nudibranch will continue living as long as they have ample food and decent water quality. I would start with 4-5 adults in your tank. Turn off the pumps and gently put them NEAR the aiptasia using a turkey baster or large pipette. Do not put them ON the aiptasia.
Where would be a good place to purchase nudibranch from?

OP
OP
H

Hardesty8422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably never gonna get rid of every single one, but some in the tank is not that big of a deal imo. The nudis seem to work really well but if you have a wrasse or another fish like it, it will eat them all before they can make any kind of dent in the Aiptasia. Aiptasia eating file fish will eat them up but now your adding a fish, potentially causing some quarrels with the new fish. If you get the correct peppermint shrimpd they will also eat the Aiptasia but like nudis any fish that can eat them will. I dont have either of those options so every month or so I dose them with Aiptasia x which works really well for me and keeps them in check. I would definitely not pull any live rocks with Aiptasia on them and nuke the rocks just to try and eradicate the Aiptasia as it will kill all the good things in/on the rocks which would probably cause problems in your system. Good luck and don't sweat Aiptasia's in your tank.
All I have in the tank now are the shrimp , a black clownfish and a small coral beauty 《 plan on upgrading to a 75 gallon very soon 》 which is why I'm trying to get rid of them so they don't spread to the new tank. Wanted to use my current live rock

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely true... I had 4 nudibranch I had put in my frag system to get rid of aiptasia that were on a hammer colony. There's also a six line wrasse in there. He inspected the nudibranch and left them alone.

Back