Air Pump CO2 Scrubber

GrumpyGuy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone setup a CO2 scrubber by originating at an air pump, though the CO2 scrubber, then out an air stone in the sump? Don’t have room for a skimmer and thinking this might work ... looking for others experiences.
Current tank is a 40 AiO tank with a UV Sterilizer, filter sock, bio media and probes which fill all my available areas except overflow into where my pump is. My Ph stayes pretty consistent at Ph 8, but I’ve been chasing 8.3. My Alk is 8, Calc is 468, MG is 1575 (due to AquaForest reef salt). Water temp stays a steady 78.5. Fish wise, I’ve got two clowns, two hippos and a damsel. Coral wise I have a clove and star polyp, two different zoa’s, a torch and a scoly. The only thing I can think of to raise my Ph is to add a CO2 scrubber, but I don’t have room for a skimmer in my tank to do that. Any recommendations on how to raise Ph given my constraints?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about doing this myself but never did. They make larger air pumps for koi ponds if you need something large.

OP
OP
G

GrumpyGuy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s for a small 40 Gal AiO tank, so I’m worried about micro bubbles having a larger effect on probes, etc

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s for a small 40 Gal AiO tank, so I’m worried about micro bubbles having a larger effect on probes, etc
FYI, a ph of 8.0 is nothing to worry about. Now if you're consistently around 7.8 and below is when I'd work on raising it.

OP
OP
G

GrumpyGuy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, a ph of 8.0 is nothing to worry about. Now if you're consistently around 7.8 and below is when I'd work on raising it.
I should have clarified. It’s holding at 8 right now cause I am dosing Kalkwasser. Normally it fluctuates between 7.6 and 7.8, with it usually being on the lower side.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airstones in sumps end up with way to many micro bubbles in the system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If bubbles cannot be removed before they enter a return pump, just outside air to the sump air chamber, if it is reasonably closed, may help as there will be gas exchange there (assuming some turbulence in the water). Big bubbles are better than none, so just an underwater tubing end may help.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DIY CO2 scrubber that is driven by a Whisper 60 air pump feeding into my DIY updraft algae scrubber. I think this is the best place to put them because you never see any actual bubbles in your display and you get the immediate benefit of a raise in pH. Plus the algae grows like crazy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back