AL99 vs RowaPhos

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim and everyone :)

I am in the process of rebuilding my tank and switching to the full Triton method.

I see that the recommendation is to switch between AL99 and RowaPhos on a regular basis in order for the Rowa to remove any aluminium that has leached from the AL99.

My question is why don't we just run ROWA and be done with the AL99? What does the AL99 do that the Rowa doesnt?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is GFO is too good at removing many things, while aluminium based media only removes PO4 & silicates?

I'm sure others on R2R know the official answer

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AL99 also removes Barium and Silicates, things that can build up over time if finding their way in with your RO supply for example so it is a good idea to use different media as they can remove different elements, that being said it is perfectly acceptable to only use Rowaphos if you want to.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I will still run both as suggested, barium did creep up with my last tank.

Kenpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rowaphos does suck up aluminium wich with time is released by al99

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from AL99 to Rowa as it just wouldn't deal with the PO4 and leached Aluminium. Rowa has done well on both fronts, but if you were looking for a more gentle removal of PO4, or to deal with barium or silicates, then AL99 would work.

I don't swap them out however.

If you use AL99, soak it for a LONG time in RO. I mean 6 hours+. Give it a rinse in RO afterwards, then use in a reactor with absolutely NO movement.

Last edited:

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the seachem product the same as AL99?

No, I think the Seachem stuff (Phosbond?) is some sort of ferric oxide/aluminium dioxide blend?

I've not used it personally. AL99 is Aluminium Dioxide

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no ferric oxide in Seachem Phosguard.

I mentioned phosbond.. Phosguard looks similar to AL99, but not sure if there are any differences (both are small balls of aluminium dioxide)

DC6E2E38-03A9-416A-A447-7FF6667B1AF0.png

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a small bag of rowa in my sump, over a period of 2 months, dropped my Al levels from 193 ug to 20 - incredible, given the water volume of 600+ gals.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So really wouldn't it be best to run ROWA mainly, and then just AL99 when Triton tests return higher than desired Silicates or Barium? That way you wouldn't leave yourself open for possible aluminium contamination?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rowaphos does suck up aluminium wich with time is released by al99

What is the evidence for this?

IMO, this possibility is more useful than even having a way to reduce aluminum, which is that if it happens, it shows clearly that the aluminum in the water is dissolved aluminum ions (perhaps with organics attached) and not fine particulates (which is what companies like Seachem have always claimed).

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the evidence for this?

IMO, this possibility is more useful than even having a way to reduce aluminum, which is that if it happens, it shows clearly that the aluminum in the water is dissolved aluminum ions (perhaps with organics attached) and not fine particulates (which is what companies like Seachem have always claimed).

Hi Randy,

From my personal experience with AL99 and alumnium, Rowaphos does work well to remove it from the water column. Although the ICP tells us Aluminium is present, it doesn't tell us what form.

I ran AL99 for a month or so before this ICP: https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/11708/ which as you can see shows an aluminium level of 244ug/l

After receiving this, I removed the AL99 and ran rowaphos as the only mitigation step, which dropped the level to 9ug/l on the next ICP: https://www.triton-lab.de/en/aquaria-administration/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/20109/

The impact to the corals of this level was apparent, with no PE and bleaching occuring. Coral health and PE markedly improved after removal of the aluminium.

I'm not sure of the chemical process which rowaphos (or I guess any GFO) binds aluminium, but it does do so in my experience and Triton's who recommend running rowaphos to remove aluminium.

Personally, I like consistent levels and after pulling my hair out trying to work out why AL99 was releasing such high levels of aluminium, I switched to Rowaphos on Linda and Ehsan's advice.

I have only used rowaphos since.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have a large system. And have been doing 200 gallon water changes. About to put back I. My sps. Long story myblarge Sps display was taken down to deal with large repeating ick attacks.

So I am going to run a bunch of media. Suggestions on product to use. No Sps in Tank. So no worries about dropping quickly. Sorry if off topic.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back