AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have most of the RO/DI water storage system dry fit with plumbing. After some basic testing on my jebao dct-15000 pumps to verify they work I started to test one out for use in my skimmer. After some quick testing it was easy to see that a needle wheel impeller of some kind will be needed. I was successful in removing the impeller from the ceramic shaft without breaking it so now I can work on a DIY needle wheel impeller. I anyone wants to share designs or has a favorite design let me know.
b938de6044439f8ebc499e9a956127b2.jpg
d3c00647d7f44dcfc039d136d08038d5.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting there! Very cool set-up, looking forward to your future updates.

Fishmantim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type ventaliat ion system did you buy what brand and where could I find one

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I was able to send out an update. I am still working towards a June fill date. I wanted to share the part 2 video of my radiant heating system. A thermal camera was used to make the footage in the first video as I wanted to show everyone how quickly the coil heats up.

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, Alex!
I think the radiant heat will work, but you may find it transfers heat relatively slowly due to the relatively poor thermal conductivity of the PEX. It will also likely continue to heat the water well after your pump turns off. You should be able to overcome those limitations with creative programming of your set points. Still far better than a bunch of big electric heaters in there.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, Alex!
I think the radiant heat will work, but you may find it transfers heat relatively slowly due to the relatively poor thermal conductivity of the PEX. It will also likely continue to heat the water well after your pump turns off. You should be able to overcome those limitations with creative programming of your set points. Still far better than a bunch of big electric heaters in there.

I have done one preliminary test and it did seem to heat up the 120 gallon sump in just a few hours but I was not using the controller or thermometers to monitor the temperature change. With my three sumps tied together and filled I will wire in the controller and conduct better testing. I agree that pex is not the best conduit for a heat exchanger but its aquarium safe. The overheating after the pump turns off is a real concern and I will be monitoring how long it takes for the pex to cool down to the temperature of the tank. My biggest concern though is the temperature lag that will occur between the heat exchanger and the overflow drain from the displays in the first sump tank which I agree that set point adjustment will be the key to overcoming that issue. A lot of testing will be needed and I really want to document it well to share good test results with the community.

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my exact concern - "coast" after your pump turns off while the water in the pipes remains hot.

There will likely be some "coast" downward in temperature as well. I suspect you will need a relatively high "on" temperature, then a hold-down time, before a relatively low "off" temperature is allowed to trigger.

I also wonder if it is possible to "pulse" the hot water, on for a minute, off for five for instance, to bring some hot water in, allow it to transfer it's heat, then if still needed, bring more in.

Like you said, you will need to do a lot of testing to find a method that works for your system. I am very interested in your results.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done one preliminary test and it did seem to heat up the 120 gallon sump in just a few hours but I was not using the controller or thermometers to monitor the temperature change. With my three sumps tied together and filled I will wire in the controller and conduct better testing. I agree that pex is not the best conduit for a heat exchanger but its aquarium safe. The overheating after the pump turns off is a real concern and I will be monitoring how long it takes for the pex to cool down to the temperature of the tank. My biggest concern though is the temperature lag that will occur between the heat exchanger and the overflow drain from the displays in the first sump tank which I agree that set point adjustment will be the key to overcoming that issue. A lot of testing will be needed and I really want to document it well to share good test results with the community.

Maybe something to think about would be running the water temperature in the coils lower so the thermal variation is smaller, this would mean they would have to be on longer, but the residual heat after shutoff would be less and cause less temp overshoot. To reduce lag maybe run a tighter hysteresis in your temp controller

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe something to think about would be running the water temperature in the coils lower so the thermal variation is smaller, this would mean they would have to be on longer, but the residual heat after shutoff would be less and cause less temp overshoot. To reduce lag maybe run a tighter hysteresis in your temp controller

I have a few options to control the residual heat. As you stated I can lower the hot water supply temp. The other option is to increase or decrease the length of the heating coil in contact with the water.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finally achieved one of my goals in building this system. The 480 Gallon Display is now filled with water. I have such a great sense of pride in this achievement. I also revealed the aquascape. What does everyone think about the aquascape?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back