AlexKintner's Reefer 425 Pre-Build plan

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the plan for my upcoming build is beginning to take shape, so I thought I’d start a pre-build thread. I won’t be making any purchases until early 2020, but wanted to put something out there and hopefully get some early feedback before draining the bank account. This will be my second saltwater aquarium, with the first FOWLR setup being broken down in 1998. I loved the hobby back then, but I was uneducated in reef keeping, poor, and too busy with work travel to have any real long-term success.

Today… with a little more time on my hands, a budget, and having studied up for the past several months, I think I’m arriving at a strategy for what will hopefully evolve into a successful SPS dominant reef aquarium. I thought I’d breakdown the different decision points regarding equipment and offer up some of my reasoning. I’d also like to thank the folks on this forum for the incredible knowledge base that you have built over the years. Without the lessons learned here, and about 400 videos of Ryan and Randy at BRS, I couldn’t have developed this plan and wouldn’t even know what questions to ask. So, with apologies up front for a really verbose thread, here goes:

Aquarium System – Red Sea Reefer 425
I really think the Reefer system hits that sweet spot for hobbyists who enjoy customizing their work, but don’t necessarily have the time, desire or ability to do a complete build from scratch. I think I’ve settled on the 425, but I’ve spec’d out everything from a 170 to a 625. Ultimately the decision comes down to budget and having a suitable place in the house for the tank to live.

Lighting - Red Sea ReefLED 90 (x2)
This one is subject to change given that I don’t think anyone has reviewed these things yet. If they review well, I’d like to keep it simple and just order the Reefer Deluxe. If not, I would probably spend a few more $ and get another LED option from Ecotech or Kessil.

Based on some conversations with my LFS, and some great educational stuff on BRS, I’d ultimately like to upgrade the lighting to an LED/T5 hybrid… but don’t think this will be in the budget up front.

Return Pump – Ecotech Vectra M2
Won’t be running a manifold, so I think this will provide ample flow. I might do some custom plumbing down the road, but thought I should experience the suckiness of stock plumbing so I have a good understanding of exactly what it is I’m trying to improve upon.

Powerhead – Maxspect Gyre XF330
Considering MP40 as well, but really like the gyre concept. I think I’ll have just one initially but could add a second as a future upgrade. I guess Red Sea has a gyre ‘coming soon’… so will consider those as well.

Skimmer – Red Sea 600
Noticing a theme here? I think there are a lot of good options here, but I like the price point here along with positive review from BRS. I was originally thinking I had to go DC here to keep it quiet, but the Red Sea skimmers seem to have some effective noise dampening features.

Fuge Light – Kessil H380
This one is really important to me. Upon returning to the hobby I had never heard the term ‘refugium’ before. Having a better understanding today I think this is one of the coolest things in the hobby. I’ve always loved the concept of putting the right pieces in place for an entire ecosystem to thrive. The aquarium refugium really brings that idea to the next level. I know that none of the Reefer systems have a massive sump, but I want to maximize the available space with a powerful algae growing light source. I have an aspirational goal to achieve all necessary nutrient export through fuge, skimmer and water change with no additional equipment or dosing. Hoping to find a light source that could help make it happen.

Heating/Cooling
Will probably run a Neotherm 300w heater and Tunze Aquawind for cooling. I live in central Florida and the ambient temperature in the house is a very consistent 76-77°. Even winter the house seldom dips below 70°. I may use a simple temp controller like Inkbird for redundancy. Also, we have a generator for any long term power issues.

Controller - None
Other than temperature I won’t have a controller initially, but fully expect to add one as a future upgrade. Similar to custom plumbing… I’d like to run without for a while so I know exactly what I’m hoping to achieve.

Rock – MarcoRock ReefSaver (90ish lbs)
This was actually a tough call. Living in the Tampa area, the idea of a local pickup of TBS live rock is very appealing. I think in the end it comes down to better aquascaping options and critter control with dry. My LFS has some pretty cool branch and shelf liverock that I might add to the mix to help seed some coralline and jazz up the display.

ATO – Tunze 3155
There seems to be near universal agreement that stock ATOs suck, and Tunze works pretty well.

RO/DI – BRS 6-Stage Deluxe 100gpd
Our water supply is sanitized with chloramine. I think 6-stage is the way to go.

That’s pretty much it. I want to start off with the bare minimum pieces of equipment, and only add stuff (reactors, sterilizers, dosers etc) when… a) It becomes needed… or B) I come to learn that it was needed all along, but I was too dimwitted to understand.

I greatly appreciate everything I’ve learned here so far, and looking forward to any feedback on my plan.

Thanks!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid plan. I'd be leary of the Inkbird though. I personally have had bad luck with them drifting out of calibration. Ranco controler would be better.

Full set of test kits are needed. Salifert, red Sea....etc.

All dry rock will take more time to balance out biologically, adding live rock to it will help.

Advice on corals, let your system mature before attempting Acropora. Around a year running. Coral dip is a must for all stony corals, LPS, SPS.

Once stable, consider 2 part dosing as your coral load increases and calcium/alkalinity consumption takes off.

Consider a quarantine tank as part of your build. You'll most likely need it at some point. Add to that medication needed.

Salt mixing station is good to have as well.

Reefer_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning a 425 as well and there are alot of similarities with our plans. Although I initially wanted them, one thing that turned me off to the Red Sea lights/powerheads is they dont work with the popular controllers. Youre stuck using Red Seas app. The app might be decent too but I wanted one system to oversee everything.

OP
OP
AlexKintner

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid plan. I'd be leary of the Inkbird though. I personally have had bad luck with them drifting out of calibration. Ranco controler would be better.

Full set of test kits are needed. Salifert, red Sea....etc.

All dry rock will take more time to balance out biologically, adding live rock to it will help.

Advice on corals, let your system mature before attempting Acropora. Around a year running. Coral dip is a must for all stony corals, LPS, SPS.

Once stable, consider 2 part dosing as your coral load increases and calcium/alkalinity consumption takes off.

Consider a quarantine tank as part of your build. You'll most likely need it at some point. Add to that medication needed.

Salt mixing station is good to have as well.

Thank you for the reply! I was beginning to think that a boring, pictureless pre-build thread was a bad idea ;)

I checked out the Ranco… definitely looks like a more reliable option in the absence of full-on controller.

Appreciate the advice on maturation. I definitely plan to take it slow... especially with some of the trickier SPS and livestock.

In terms of calc/alk... I was actually leaning towards kalk (at least in the early stages). I won't know until the system is up and running, but I think the ph boost will come in handy. In this humid Florida climate the AC is running almost year round and we rarely open the windows. With the CO2 build-up from humans and dogs, I suspect it may be a challenge to keep the ph > 8. Definitely open to going the 2-part route as well.

I do need to work on my quarantine plan. I have a spare 20-gallon setup now. Not sure if I can use this as hospital/quarantine... or if I need another tank. I'm thinking the latter.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
AlexKintner

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning a 425 as well and there are alot of similarities with our plans. Although I initially wanted them, one thing that turned me off to the Red Sea lights/powerheads is they dont work with the popular controllers. Youre stuck using Red Seas app. The app might be decent too but I wanted one system to oversee everything.

Thank you... I hadn't really considered that. Definitely part of the overall value equation.

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning from New York. Unless yiu want spotlight effects i wouldnt use kessel lighting. Go with something more flooded. Like radions. Im in the process of planning my in wall build and i did alot of research between the 2 lights.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing about the latest 425 is that it has a sump that is refugium ready. I have the H160 but I think the H380 is a great choice for your sump.

I just built out a reefer 170 which does not but was able to modify it. I did start out with an APEX to start and glad I did as it informed some decisions and placement of gear as well as you start with the smart powerbar. I was able to learn about it and get used to it while the tank was cycling which was invaluable. Just food for thought. I am also using the LED 90 and I like it so far.

OP
OP
AlexKintner

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built out a reefer 170 which does not but was able to modify it. I did start out with an APEX to start and glad I did as it informed some decisions and placement of gear as well as you start with the smart powerbar. I was able to learn about it and get used to it while the tank was cycling which was invaluable. Just food for thought. I am also using the LED 90 and I like it so far.

I like the 170 as well. There are really only 2 places in my house where a new tank could live. One perfect for a 170... and the other perfect for the 425. Good point about the controller. I was thinking about it strictly in terms of automation, and hadn't really considered the decision support angle.

Good to hear positive experience with ReefLED. Looking forward to the upcoming BRS review.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back