Algae (dino?) help id

Tiwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 weeks ago i noticed i had some cyano bacteria, so i ordered chemiclean and that took care of things. Then last sunday i noticed some more (or so i thought) coming up so i treated it with chemiclean again. The first time it was cyano but this time im not sure. Ive asked a friend and he says sometimes new tanks (my tank has been up for about 3.5 months) get a bloom of dino.

I blow it off all my rocks and coral everyday since sunday now and when i did my water change (30%) yesterday for the chemiclean treatment i tried to siphon as much as i could but it came back today. It seems to stick to corals and my torch and frogspawn are closed (this could be cause by lighting as i have moved them around recently).

I worried because ive heard it can engulf corals and ive been here to blow it off for the last couple of days but this weekend i wont have access to the tank so im not really sure what to do. Here are some pictures:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
i didnt get any pics with it on the corals as i decided to make this thread after i blew it off.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dinoflagellates to me. Your tank is still relatively new, still going through cycle. I would siphon it out and into your filter sock that way you don’t have to wait for a water change to siphon it out, and you just change your sock out after you suck it off the rocks and sand. Cut back your photoperiod and intensity, some have even done a 3 day blackout. What kind of refugium light do you have?
Are you growing chaeto or any macro algae?

OP
OP
Tiwo

Tiwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dont have a sump/fuge but im getting one in the next week or two. However i am growing cheato in a kinda embarrassing setup but i have it in a large water bottle with holes hanging in the tank. Ive only had this for about 3~ weeks but i was planning to have a sump so i got it the cheato a little early lol :)

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dont have a sump/fuge but im getting one in the next week or two. However i am growing cheato in a kinda embarrassing setup but i have it in a large water bottle with holes hanging in the tank. Ive only had this for about 3~ weeks but i was planning to have a sump so i got it the cheato a little early lol :)

Well, you’ll def need a sump/fuge, you want to outcompete your DT lights with your fuge light that can be set on an opposite schedule as your main lights. Check out the Mars Hydro and the rayway UFO on amazon. Very good lights for the money! And go get a sump, it’ll make your life so much easier!

OP
OP
Tiwo

Tiwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you’ll def need a sump/fuge, you want to outcompete your DT lights with your fuge light that can be set on an opposite schedule as your main lights. Check out the Mars Hydro and the rayway UFO on amazon. Very good lights for the money! And go get a sump, it’ll make your life so much easier!
Ya for sure, thanks for the help and recommendations on lights!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back